or Connect

Posts by monkeys4mama

Well, ds arrived home yesterday. He seems to have had a wonderful week at camp. He looked so happy and excited and confident. A week away at camp was so good for him. He loved the gummi worms (didn't even find all of them, we still had some worms in socks when he returend) and the letters and I also put a rubber snake in his toiletries bag. Then he also had an unplanned surprise which turned out to be one of the better jokes. His older sister had used the...
A coworker just asked me for recommendations for babyfood cookbooks/recipes. Her baby is 6 months old and breastfed. I never fed any of my babies babyfood. (Well, except for a few tries at feeding it to my firstborn, who never took to it.) I just breastfed them until they were old enough to begin some soft finger foods. Then they began self-feedings little bits of whatever the family was eating. It worked fine for us. But, for someone who is interested in...
Quick update for everyone who was so helpful with ideas: My first camper leaves tomorrow. This is his first year going off to camp. He is eight. I've decided that for him, I will stuff his socks with gummi creatures and will giftwrap the contents of his suitcase. Then I'll send him some letters during the week, including some written in the fun different ways suggested above (like balloons or reverse or mirror). The two girls leave for camp the same week in...
My youngest weaned a few months ago and I still can express small amounts. I don't get letdowns anymore. I haven't for years. Once my babies were past about a year of age, I didn't leak anymore or feel any noticeable letdown sensation. But the milk continued. I breastfed continuously for almost 13 years (through pregnancies too). I have been wondering how long it would take before my milk disappeared (if ever). A related question I have is this: how long after...
Awesome ideas! Keep 'em coming. I love these! With three kids going off to camp (different weeks) we should be able to have some fun!
For the past several years, my kids have gone off to summer camp. Somehow along the way it became a tradition to play a silly practical joke on the child while they were at camp. The kids *love* this tradition, but it's getting difficult to think up good harmless pranks that are clever and fun. Various pranks we've played that the kids liked included: *sticking personal ID labels on every single item in dd's suitcase *sending a dozen small packages of all shapes and...
We have two apple trees in the back yard which have been totally neglected for years and have become very overgrown. I would like to try to reclaim the trees for harvesting good, healthy fruit. I think it's going to take some work though, and I don't know where to begin. My main questions are: 1) the fruit gets grey spots all over the skin, what are they and how can they be treated? 2) how to deal with insects? 3) how best to fertilize and care for? 4) how best...
Quote: Originally Posted by journeymom I agree with the previous poster: if you're going to put the house on the market then you should clear out a lot of the furniture and clutter. Then you have room for a nice, temporary floor lamp. Don't mess around with installing something like a ceiling lamp in a house you're just going to move from. . True, true. But I am *hoping* we don't have to move from it. Just not sure at this point. I'd say...
Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying this discussion. Too funny about the "boob lights". I have to admit, I've seen styles similar to that so many times and never thought twice about it. We actually have something sortof like this in the hallways and bedrooms. The dome shape is less pronounced though, and the colors of glass and metal base are different, so I don't find them as "boobish" as that one in the link with the really big "nipple" part pointing down. About a...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan I don't think it's "typical" to have a ceiling fixture, but I think all homes should have a light that can be switched on from the entrance. None of that BS about stumbling across a dark room to fumble for a tiny switch on some stupid lamp. Here I'm tempted to ask for a show of hands of all the members who've ever broken a toe by catching it on some piece of furniture or doorframe while stumbling...