or Connect

Posts by claras_mom

Goleta Family School is a public alternative program in the Goleta Union School District. http://goletafamilyschool.com I'm reasonably certain that there's a similar sort of program in the Santa Barbara School District--the Open Alternative School. http://www.sbsdk12.org/schools/elementary/oas.shtml GFS is lottery based. Santa Barbara Charter might also be lottery based--I really don't remember, as I didn't look too closely at it. It's a great school, but we didn't...
There's always ambivalence in my opinion. It's just a question of the source of that ambivalence. Do I care what people think? No, not at all. Would I like to have my body back--to have that autonomy again? Yeah, sometimes.
92 months and counting. Or to put it another way... 72 (ish) + 40 I can't really remember when dd1 weaned. She weaned--reluctantly--somewhere around age 6. Both my girls have been big comfort nursers, so I don't expect dd2 to stop anytime soon. I work outside the home.
I heard it the first time (the "don't throw a fit" version) from my dd1's best friend, when they were in pre-K. She's going into second grade now and I don't like it any better than I did the first time. Couldn't figure out at the time why I didn't like it, other than the tone in which it was delivered.The problem with rhymes like that is that young kids taunt each other with rhymes all the time. It's been something that dd1 (and I) have had to deal with in her first...
College of Creative Studies at the University of California-Santa Barbarahttp://www.ccs.ucsb.edu
Goldenwillow and others, my ob/gyn said the best predictor of when you might hit menopause is when your mother or sisters did, though that only provides a very general guideline. Most women will start peri-menopause sometime in the late 40s, but of course it can be earlier. After the first, he did say there's no way of predicting when periods will return or if they'll be the same--in frequency or anything--as they were prior to the pregnancy. When my periods came back...
It took a year for my periods to come back the first time; about that after my second. Dd1 was born when I was 40; I'm closing in on 48 now. Been breastfeeding the whole time. I'm pretty definitely in perimenopause now. Fun times.
Having been through this--though dd1 was a little older, a very enthusiastic 4-1/4 year old--I'd suggest a compromise. Maybe take away the "only once a day" and the timer because it's just creating a "forbidden fruit" situation, BUT she has to wait until the baby is full (because it's the only thing a baby eats). The main limit I put on dd1 was "wait until the baby is full." You can start to put other limitations on it, like not nursing in public, or not being completely...
One of the factors here may be that two of the three teachers are a little, um, organizationally challenged. Once when one of them spoke of the glory days of way more aide hours, it sort of sounded like she was using the aide to handle a ton of admin stuff. Last year, in dd1's K-1 class, the extra adults were really key (at least on Monday mornings, when I volunteer) in keeping kids focused--the group dynamic was pretty intense. I facilitator for every group of 5 or 6...
While it's true that the 4-6 class gets the most aide hours (meaning the fully trained help), parents are utilized fully, including, in some cases, lending their expertise in teaching (there are some science and engineering professors among the parents). But--and it's a big but--this is a school offering a lot more freedom to the teachers in terms of how things are taught. The curriculum is explicitly child-centered (with an emphasis on creative expression, independent...