or Connect

Posts by claras_mom

OP, I think you did just the right thing. You alerted the teacher to a potentially serious problem, in a way that honored your daughter's need for it not to be laid on her. And I really, really agree with finding a way of teaching her that it's not OK at all to let boys harass her. She has to be able to stand up for herself.
At our school (small program w/in the public school system), each family is responsible for snacks during one week of the year. New families usually share a week. It's a PITA, on the one hand, but on the other they've sort of made snack time a part of the curriculum, in that the kids eat with the same mixed age group every day. It's community building, and they learn manners (waiting until everyone's there to eat) and sharing (seconds have to be negotiated). On a more...
OP, I just reread your original post...is it possible that some of the separation anxiety has to do with just having gone through a hurricane?
My best guess is that the shapes thing has to do with assessment. I'm pretty sure dd1's Kindergarten teacher spent a good part of the first week or two of school figuring out just where the kids were. But what you describe is also very different from the kindergarten I observed last year--in dd's class there were lots of manipulatives, instruction in small group rotations, choice time (always dd's favorite!) where the choices were anything from reading or journaling (it...
Baritone is an easy instrument to learn. I was an oboist and learned baritone for marching band. Not quite sure what the band teacher meant about clefs--cello parts are *mostly* in bass clef, though advanced players also play in tenor and treble, depending on the range of the part. Saxophones are written in treble, even when the sounding pitch is low.Baritone parts can be in either treble or bass clef. My recollection is that treble clef parts are transposed as for a...
Really, I'd look for a Pre-K program with a half-day option. In my experience, what that then means is that the program is structured so that the bulk of the "instructional" activity happens in the morning. Afternoons are more free-form--at dd1's pre-K, after rest time there was afternoon snack, playing outdoors (though frequently with an option for drawing at an outdoor table), then a move indoors at the very end of the day. It was *not* a public school; the day...
My daughter's public K-1 class certainly had little dance breaks (good way to get the wiggles out), but it was usually kid-friendly music. There's plenty of cool stuff for kids out there--in your place, I'd probably ask about alternatives.
Children's Museum and zoo. We took dd1 there when she was...3-1/2. She was so jazzed by the Children's Museum that we went two or three days in a row. They had a nice area for babies and toddlers and a good variety of activities for the older little kids.
I love my engagement ring. The main diamond isn't all that large, but is cut in a way that gives it amazing depth. And it casts rainbows. I forget what the jeweler called it. If we were doing it again, I might have the ring made in 18 carat instead of 14 carat gold. It was really hard to choose a wedding band. I didn't want anything that was made to fit together with the other ring, just something that complimented it, so I wound up with a really plain band. If I...
Go next door and politely offer to trim your side of the tree to more or less match what they did. Say you wanted to check in with them first in case there are any issues you need to be aware of. Since they trimmed their side, there's really no way they could make an issue of you trimming your side. As for the garden bed, it's not a "good" one if it's under a tree that doesn't belong to you, a tree which is making it difficult to garden. They'd be within their rights...