or Connect

Posts by claras_mom

Dd1's b-day is less than a week before Christmas. We've generally had family celebrations on the actual day. This year, she did request a small party with friends from school and then some family and adult friends for dinner. Which was OK. I was stressed, but I think I"d have been stressed anyway. She thinks it's way cool to have a birthday that close to Christmas, so a half-birthday, for now, is out of the question. I'm banking on her preference for small,...
Dd1's teacher actually does a handwriting rotation every day, so that all the kids in her K-1 class can work on it. They use the classic lined paper (two solids, with the dotted line in the middle). One of the ways she talks about letter formation is to label the top line the sun (the labels are all with pictographs), the middle is a cloud, and the bottom is the grass. So all the letters need to be on the ground (the grass), most lowercase letters are below the clouds,...
Based on what you described of his actions toward you, and the strong feelings you still have about them, I'd either go by myself, or not go at all and send a lovely gift.
Awhile back, dd1 started talking about getting a DVD player in the car, because other kids have it and she thinks it would be cool or whatever. I just pull the mom card on that one. I tell her I don't believe it's a good thing and it's not going to happen (dh and I are in total agreement, so the next line--if she pushes it--is "dad doesn't believe in it either.") Probably do the same with the TV in the bedroom. Might talk a little sometimes about why, but since it's...
Meant to say something useful as well. Seems to me that your kids started out "behind" with a teacher who was a really bad fit and who did some damage to their sense of themselves. In November, a change of teacher has already started to turn things around. That and a couple of months of school. With dd1, at first, it was hard to see progress in what she was doing--unless I compared it to something she'd done earlier. There was also a huge social adjustment at the...
I am also 46. School is a whole different ballgame now than it was when we were kids. They do in kindergarten what we (I) did in first grade. Been feeling the adjustment (vicariously) as my girl negotiates her first year of public school (kindergarten).BUT, what we chose was a public alternative program. Very small, with about 60 kids in 3 multi-age classrooms. I have issues with the administrative end of things (a sometime lack of communication/organization on the...
Please don't take this the wrong way. I think you're all overreacting. And you have a different idea of what constitutes family bonding time. For you, it's (among other things) being in the kitchen, cooking beautiful delicious food together and then cleaning up. For her, it's watching TV together. Soooo, by being inattentive to the TV show, you were hurting her feelings, just as when she makes a big deal out of not cooking (keeping it simple), she's hurting your...
We're in the "everyone helps to make the house run" camp. Dd helps, with more or less nudging, depending on the day, with the following: dirty clothes into the hamper picking up toys taking dirty dishes to kitchen after meals or snacks vacuuming cleaning the toilets (and before anyone gets all weird about it, this is one thing she asks to do) Putting wet clothes into the dryer and dirty clothes into the washer (I sort, she tosses) sweeping setting the table for...
I read recently that according to my state's PTA guidelines, the ratio of purely social/fun events to fundraising events should be 3:1. I've resisted the urge to make a tally, because it seems to me we're doing too much fundraising. That said: Yes, I volunteer in the classroom. My husband and I split a 2 hour/week requirement. I also lead a parent committee with specific responsibilities/events. The former seems really important to my kid's education; the latter was...
Go Fish is the favorite here; Crazy Eight second.  We're going to teach her to play hearts next - she's intrigued by the idea of a game where the person with the least points wins.