or Connect

Posts by rainyday

You're coming to the district after their "open enrollment" period. This means that your options for schools will be restricted to the school for your neighborhood and whichever other schools have openings. This web page has enrollment statistics for each school: http://www.seattleschools.org/area/eso/SSR/main.xml It looks like Salmon Bay is expected to have 6 Basic (I think this is regular ed) spots for grade 7 and 0 for the special ed program. I think special...
Are there any other parents of kids in your daughter's class who could pick up and/or drop off your daughter on the days when you're really sick? That would be my first choice in that situation. If I got sick while my child was at school and didn't feel I could drive and pick him up, I'd call another parent and ask her to pick up my child. I certainly don't mind doing this for other parents, and I've never had a hard time finding someone to take my child when I was in a...
Quote: Originally Posted by VisionaryMom The parents weren't around. I'm trying to think of the best way to explain the set-up. This was in a walking area of downtown. The Frisbee was in a large green space with a half wall around it. Mom let the child go into the walled in area and then she went to a coffee shop across the street. She told her child he could play Frisbee but didn't say anything to the adults (as relayed to me by the person who said he...
It could be a sign that he no longer needs that much sleep each day. But, before you decide that, I'd be absolutely sure that there was no new noise or light or something that's been waking him up. I say this because we ended up having to cancel newspaper delivery because we found that the sound of the papers hitting the front door at 4:30 am was waking our ds up! We finally figured it out after about a week. How long is his normal nap? If it's longer than about an...
Quote: Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama Maybe, figure what would make it worth your time and the committment of getting a lawn mower. Would it be a year round reduction? Or just during the summer? When I paid the neighbor kid a few years back, I gave him $20 whenever he did it. He had a mower to use. It was a good deal for both of us! I'd hesitate to negotiate something variable/by the hour. I'd say something like $50/month? Consider...
Well, I guess I'll be the radical one here. Not only do I not have a problem with it, I wish we could see more advertising like it! I don't necessarily mean more pictures of beautiful, thin women, but I do wish our society could relax a bit and not see nudity as such a big deal all the time. We here at MDC tend to get all upset when someone complains that nursing our children is indecent. Well, part of the reason that some people have such issues with a natural bodily...
I've been trying to train myself to set the timer for whatever I'm cooking, even when I'm still cooking in the kitchen. That way I'm reminded about the roasting veggies or the steaming artichoke by the timer, not the smell of burning food.
((((Hug))) What everyone else said about it being their problem not yours. Try not to let it get you down. And just be glad that it wasn't what my nephew did at that age... At about age 3, my nephew decided he had to go when we were all standing outside our IL's church. Well, dn apparently decided he had to go right there and then because all of a sudden we looked over and saw him watering the bush that grows next to the front steps of their church! He hadn't even gotten...
Well, the food hoarding issues imply that there have been a lot of issues around food in that house, so I don't know how much the advice from all of us out here in internetland who don't know those issues is worth! But, I did want to add that between 3 and 4 is when a lot of kids really lose their baby chubbiness and get very skinny. I know that among the kids I know, between 3 and 4 they almost all gained several inches in height and no weight at all (and a few even lost...
We've gone about a month and a half as well. I found that what helped me most was to plan ahead. I made snacks like granola bars or crackers at home, and then I made sure to take some with me whenever we went out. I have a sign hanging by my front door that says "water" to remind me to take our reusable water bottles with us (we're no longer in "freeze" mode, but I'm trying to keep up some of the habits). We walked a lot. We went to the library about three or four times...