or Connect

Posts by peacelovingmama

They are both nice but I slightly prefer Ripley. It's less common and it reminds me of Sigourney's character in Aliens (which is a good thing!). Both great girl names!
Quote: Originally Posted by WeasleyMum No, because if you give a boy a name that has been "stolen" enough times that it's considered girly now, HE WILL BE TURNED GAY. (Which, incidentally, is the worst thing that could possibly happen.) Didn't you know that? I LOL even though it makes me want to cry and/or scream... I have to agree -- there are underlying currents of sexism and heterosexism to the whole battle cry of "girls are...
Quote: Originally Posted by WeasleyMum Ashley, Lauren, and Robin (as well as many others) used to be masculine names... very confusing if you're reading Gone With the Wind as a fourth-grader. So this "new" trend of stealing the boy names, is hardly new. Personally, I feel conflicted about the matter. On the one hand, of course people have the right to give their children any name they find attractive, gender implications be darned. But on the...
Quote: Originally Posted by riversong I totally agree. (Though I'm not offended by your posts, BethSLP.) The way I see it, the problem here is that it's ok for girls to be associated with most masculine things, but it's very taboo for boys to be associated with feminine things. It's gender bias and it's homophobia coming into play as well. Jumping in from March but I totally agree too! The "problem" isn't girls "stealing" boy names. The...
Not in your ddc but I love that name! I can't imagine pronouncing Isla anything other than eye-la and was surprised to see all of the iss-las and ees-las! To me, it's like The British Isles (no one says British iss-las/ees-las, right?) but with an a on the end, so clearly pronounced eye-la. Or like island (not iss-land/ees-land). I don't think it's confusing at all but then again, people will mispronounce even the most common names so I guess none of us can avoid...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sheryl1678 I had a full on pitocin labor with no pain med and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It was hands down the worst experience of my life and changed me forever. (they wouldn't back off on the ever increasing pit and when I was begging for an epidural said it was too late). They blasted my dd out of me. If you must get pit then get the epidural. To say it is torture is an understatement. it is very...
I am 21 weeks and nursing an almost 19-month-old. I haven't yet decided if I'll tandem nurse but I'm leaning toward it and I don't have much time less to decide!
It's definitely a pregnancy thing. I think swollen membranes (including nasal) is pretty common and I've experienced it with all 5 pregnancies. I don't have allergies at all and only get this when I have a cold or am pregnant.
My DH has suggested his mother's name but I vetoed it. I felt kind of mean but I only want to use family names of people I really respect and admire. We are considering going with two middle names, one to honor the baby we lost and one just because we like it.
Quote: Originally Posted by friendlymamma I felt like chiming in on this thread since we know now that we are having a girl. Funny, we already had a boy's name. It was going to be Blake Andrew. We've had to do some talking about a girl name. But, I think we are going with Marin (or Maren) Elliot (Elliot was my grandmother's middle name and it's pronounced elle-yot if that makes sense). We're still undecided on the spelling of Marin/Maren. Ya'll let...