or Connect

Posts by WNB

Invite them over for a "picnic" in your front yard, uncleaned and if they make any sort of funny faces when they notice, point out that it's their dog's crap. (or just bring the dog back over to them and introduce yourself, then ask they keep their dog leashed and off your yard.)
Quote: Originally Posted by Denvergirlie Your math is wrong in this. You state they are both 15 year mortages, but in the refi scenerio you multipled by 180, instead of 90. So obviously your other math is wrong as well someplace as the prinicple is now more than the straight payments. Did you mean to say a 30 year mortage? However, as noted by other PP's you must factor in the interest as well as the closing costs. 180 monthly payments is 15...
Why are you focusing on 15 year mortgages if you are trying to give yourselves more flexibility with cash flow near-term? Most mortgages do not include pre-payment penalties - so if you want to be able to make low payments for a couple years to devote funds to other, high-rate debt or to shoring up savings to cover emergencies without resorting to credit, and then revert to paying more, it seems like a 30-year term makes more sense. (Pay the basic monthly payment for...
Re: taxes on your home -- my guess: When you sell a house that is or was your principal residence, you may be able to exclude up to 500K in capital gains (250K per person, 500K for married filing jointly), provided it was your principal residence for 24 months out of the most recent 60 months. (2 out of 5 years). Under very limited circumstances you may be able to exclude some pro-rated portion of the gains if you can not meet the occupancy time requirements, but the...
Love to see her try to buy a gallon of milk with gold.
Me. I don;t think there's any milk: it was gone by January ad the boobs were sore from Dec. throught Feb.. Less uncomfortable now, which is good b/c DD is definitely not ready to sign off. She calls them HER boobies, and corrects me if I call them mine. *sigh* eta: yes, me too with the weird feeling of nursing with no/little milk. It's been rough.
Quote: Originally Posted by ChetMC It totally is, but can you blame somebody for not wanting to take the risk if their company or department could face legitimate problems as a result? Discrimination of this sort arises from "observer error". Every employee presents the risk that she or he will undergo some medical issue making them unavailable or less productive for work for exended periods of time. Assuming that women are more likely to have...
No apostrophe. But if you decide to put one in anyway, yes, it would go after the "s" in "moms".
I paid my sitter $11 per hour (net of social security and medicare taxes). I didn't withhold anything for federal income tax, and we decided she operated more as an independent contractor than an employee, as she more or less set her hours and cared for DD in her home for most of the time she was engaged. I wrote her a check to cover FICA and Medicare at the end of the year, as we'd agreed that the $11 figure was what she'd make AFTER those taxes were withheld. Her...
I think if the debt is bothering you, and you feel it should be a higher priority to pay for, then you should a) start paying it off, and b) be more assertive about limiting purchases of non-essentials that could disrupt payment for "essentials" (including the debts you're prioritizing as essentials). I guess it seems most worrisome because the lax attitude toward the family-held debt seems to be translating into a lax attitude toward debt that actually costs you money...