or Connect

Posts by Herausgeber

My new trick lately is to do pilates -- with DD. She finds the exercises MUCH easier than I do, though. There's no equipment required, no specialized space, and I genuinely do feel like I am getting solid workout.
I think you're overthinking it a bit. Good schools cost a lot of money, and one way private schools raise that money is through community fundraisers like the one you describe. The businesses donate the gift certificates.and the school auctions them off to the community (not just the parents) to raise funds that help keep tuition low enough for non-wealthy kids to attend. If your school has any kind of subsidy or scholarship program, this is likely what funds...
I hear you. DD turns 3 in a couple of weeks. When asked what she wants, she says only 2 things: 1. A microscope 2. A laptop "I want them to be pink. They need to match." Of course, both of these things exist in "age appropriate versions," but I am torn between getting her those and the proper ones. Thumbs up on the stamp suggestion, btw. We have those, and she loves them. She uses them to write words, since her hand-eye coordination hasn't quite caught up...
I have strong reason to suspect DD, who turns 3 in a couple of weeks, is gifted. She already reads phonetically, counts past 20, and is obsessed with biological taxonomy, etc. I was in formal GT programs through high school, and DH really should have been, so this doesn't really shock us. For the past year and a half, we have had an au pair care for her while we work. She has really thrived with the arrangement, and we are able to tailor her activities to keep her busy...
There is considerable variation in what encompasses a "master's." So much so that it really not even useful to talk about them in a generic sense. What I did to get my master's is very different from what a psychologist would need to do -- or an accountant. Heck, it's not even consistent across journalism programs, even within the same schools. I pursued Maryland's practical MJ option, for example, because that's what suited my career goals, rather than the MA, in which I...
Both the cost and the time it takes for the investment to pay off depend on a lot of things -- the field you're in, the place you are in your career, your previous education, the program you get into, et al. My master's is in journalism, from a top school for journalism. It cost me about $30K, which I made back within one year in salary increases. It took me 1.5 years to complete the program. BUT, that was because (1) I had an utterly unrelated undergrad (agronomy) and...
She's doing what all professionally successful people do: networking. As a manager, I find it odder that you have so FEW contacts among former employers. That would give me pause if you were applying to work for me. I would wonder why you burned those bridges. I spent 8 years at my last job, and I left a year ago. I stay in touch with people throughout the company -- and when they have gone on to other jobs themselves. If I avoided them, I would have lots out on some...
I think I would be more tired if I worked PT or stayed home full time. Also, I love my caregiver, and I know my DD's life is richer for the balance.
Quote: Originally Posted by That Is Nice May I ask how much you pay for an au pair? I'm sure it varies geographically. I pay about $1200 per month for daycare. Actually, it doesn't vary geographically -- not if you have a proper State Department approved au pair. Including the cash stipend and our agency fee, it comes to about $1,250 a month, plus room and board. And an au pair can work up to 45 hours a week. My daughter doesn't have to...
I work full time, and I travel every couple of months or so for one or two nights. We also have no family here. What I do have: an au pair. I do find that having live-in full time care makes all the difference in the world. We can adjust the hours she works to best fit what DH needs in my absence. I also have a network of friends here that I know would help me out if I needed it. And I happily return the favor. The professional mothers I know who work PT seem...