or Connect

Posts by happy2bamama

I was just going to post about this! It seems like my DS's nails grow like weeds, so I find myself trimming them every couple of days, and recently, I found a few strategies that have worked well. I use clippers - they are the ones from "The First Years" and they have that magnifying glass attachment on them (which I never use, but I like the clippers otherwise). For a while, I was clipping, then filing, but jeez - the clipping alone sometimes takes a half hour to...
Quote: Originally Posted by sothisislove I plan on traveling with my 4mo in a little while. I heard that if you put a damp paper towel in styrofoam cups and hold them over the baby's ears, it will help. Don't know how practical for 4mo...but hey, might be worth a try. Does anyone know anything about this?! I heard this same thing from a ticketing agent who worked at Southwest Airlines. I never had to use it though, but maybe since we both...
I can't believe no one has told you about this one yet... www.americanapparel.net They are a LA-based clothing place (online and a few stores in town) and they have all sorts of really plain apparel for adults, kids and babies. And, they even have an organic line. Also, they pay their factory workers decent salaries, so it's not farmed out for cheap (which makes me feel good about buying through them). I design onesies and t-shirts (shameless plug here - you can...
Quote: Originally Posted by D_McG In theory I can understand letting the child practice their new skills for as long as they want. But honestly I can't lie with him for 3 hours every night. : I don't think that's helpful to either of us. Maybe I am being too harsh but we'll see I guess. So far I'm happy and he is getting the sleep he needs. I agree that 3 hours is a LONG time to lie there and get your DS to sleep - the one time it took my...
JenLiz - yes, I think we are on the same page here. I so agree about not making it a power struggle. What I can't understand about people who sleep train their babies is that even though we know so much about humans, sleep is still sort of a mystery. It's not like we can fall asleep when commanded to - it's such a complex thing and so many things have to be in place. If someone told me when to fall asleep every night, I wouldn't be able to do it - even if I wanted to,...
I just wanted to add that we have two cats and the cat caretaker that we got both of our cats from warned me that newborns sneeze quite a bit and to not immediately link it with being allergic to cats if you hear a little sneeze. So, if you notice your DC sneezing, don't freak out unless it's a ridiculous amount! Luckily, our DS has shown NO signs of allergies to his two furry brothers. Also, on a related note, if your cat is your baby (for right now), expect that...
Quote: Originally Posted by JenLiz BUT, I think there's plenty of time throughout the day to play and show off what they've learned, but us as parents have to make sure they get what they need, and that's consisent sleep. They don't know any better... The thing is though, you can't rationalize with a 6-month-old that there's plenty of time during the day to show off what they've learned. With a two-year-old, yes, but an infant, no. If that...
Thanks for the posts, mamas. I don't know why I didn't think about this before, but like some of you have said, in the beginning, it's not like they're getting a lot of food in that little belly anyway, just exploring, so even if having a belly full of food helped them sleep longer (which it sounds like it doesn't anyway), they wouldn't experience that until much, much later - after they've weaned and solids are their only food. And, for the record, I'm in no way...
Quote: Originally Posted by happy2bamama My almost 6-month-old DS does this same thing of rolling, crawling, bumping, moving, scooching while trying to nurse to sleep too! I don't know why, but it doesn't annoy me. I don't know where I found this zen attitude towards his sleeping (or sometimes lack there of), but it has done wonders for us. Someone on MDC said, "The less you worry about sleep, the more you'll get," - it struck a chord with me and she...
My almost 6-month-old DS does this same thing of rolling, crawling, bumping, moving, scooching while trying to nurse to sleep too! I don't know why, but it doesn't annoy me. I don't know where I found this zen attitude towards his sleeping (or sometimes lack there of), but it has done wonders for us. Someone on MDC said, "The less you worry about sleep, the more you'll get," - it struck a chord with me and she was so right on. When I am lying there watching DS do his...