or Connect

Posts by rixafreeze

(Also posted on my blog Stand and Deliver)   A few days ago I had the pleasure of chatting on the phone with an obstetrician. He's a wonderful (and wickedly funny) physician who strongly supports patient choice, autonomy, and informed consent. He's currently looking to relocate to the Nashville area and would love any leads on job opportunities there. A bit more about the obstetrician: he's been practicing OB/GYN for over two decades. He is currently the only...
Hi Anna,   I saw your request come up and would be happy to repost your request on my blog Stand and Deliver (rixarixa.blogspot.com). Let me know if you're interested!   Rixa
Yep, she's been great. I had my first baby unassisted but wanted a midwife for the next babies. I wanted to find someone who would respect my desires to be left alone and to be a really quiet presence. She has really fantastic clinical skills because she was a high-risk L&D nurse at both rural & tertiary hospitals before becoming a CNM. She also teaches NRP classes, so she's very competent with any kind of resuscitation the newborn might need. But she's also just really...
Penny Lane is a CNM in Thorntown serving the Indianopolis area. I used her for my last 2 births and am currently seeing her for this current pregnancy. www.believemidwiferyservices.com  
ps-Roanna, for me, the process was incredibly simple to get home birth covered. I simply called my university's benefits person and explained that our company (CIGNA) only covered midwives under "direct physician supervision" and only if they worked in a hospital setting. I explained that my nurse-midwife was a licensed health care provider in the state and asked that they change their plan to cover any licensed midwife and take out the hospital-only clause. I was also 37...
I agree that choosing home birth (or hospital birth) should not be primarily about cost. In a perfect world, every option would be freely accessible to every woman, so she could really choose the best provider & location for her situation. But yeah, we live in the real world with HMOs and PPOs and all those annoying restrictions on our health care. But this insurance company wanted to know specifically if covering home birth would lead to increased or decreased costs. For...
ps--I know that it's hard to compare home birth practice stats with overall hospital stats (obviously, there are different risk categories involved) but that's where the Canadian & Dutch studies can really clarify how home birth compares to low-risk hospital births with either midwives or doctors. So you can tease that out as well during your presentation, since there might be questions about that.
So I have lots of ideas of where you'd need to start to make this presentation. This would be really fun to do...maybe we can find a way to get me out to NYC ! But in any case, here's the information you'd need to gather: 1. Call all NYC home birth practices and ask: a. their fees (usually a global fee for prenatal care, birth, and postpartum care through 6 weeks) b. transfer rate (urgent vs. non-urgent, if they have that info) c. cesarean rate d. epidural rate e. NICU...
I'm definitely knowledgeable about this and have the credentials to go with it (PhD with specializations in the history of medicine, maternity care, & childbirth).   My own college, also self-funded, agreed to cover home birth at my request a few years back. It my case, it was really easy to make the change. The college is small enough that most people know each other, and the HR person was really supportive. We've had a few faculty members have home births covered...
Two weeks ago on Sunday I gave birth to my second child, a boy. We named him Dio after his great & and great-great-great grandfathers. This birth was a planned midwife-attended birth, but my birth choices were profoundly influenced by the unassisted birth of my daughter Zari. If I had to label Dio's birth, I would call it an autonomous, undisturbed, hands-off-midwife-attended home water birth with a bit of Hypnobabies thrown in. But frankly, I like to think of it as...