or Connect

Posts by MommyMichele

My first thought, upon reading your title but before reading your post, was that my 8 year old still plays with food sometimes. Now that I've read your post it reminds me that like you I do remove the dish when my toddler reaches my threshold of messiness for that moment. (Some days I'm more tolerant of it; other days not at all.) I think it will be a long time before you can expect her to understand that food isn't for throwing, but it's reasonable to prevent the...
When my oldest was 8 months old we bought a twin bed (figured we'd have to eventually anyway) and put the mattress on the floor. I would lie down with her on the mattress and nurse her to sleep while reading good books. She'd often take over a half hour to nurse to sleep deeply enough for me to roll away... and since the mattress was on the floor, it was easy to roll away without disturbing her. Soon she was taking 2-3 hour naps every afternoon. Alas, she gave up naps...
I voted your third choice, but none of them were exactly right for me. I had both a degree and a career before I became a mom, but my degree is in psychology and I became a primary grades teacher. I taught for 5 years before we started trying for our first baby. I always wanted to stay home with my young children, and now I'm so glad I have been able to do so. I don't feel I wasted my degree or my teacher education. In fact, I have changed quite a bit since becoming a...
It happened easily and naturally here. My kids were between 2.5 and 3 when we started reading stories to them in their own beds in another room and leaving them there when they fell asleep. We didn't make a big deal out of it, but just said, "Here's your bed." They didn't sleep through the night in their own beds every night right away, but over time they got more and more independent. It's different for each kid too. My oldest took longer to stay in her room all...
We're another family with a child-friendly kitchen. I have been purposely arranging the cabinets and drawers so the accessible ones are safe for eight years now. My youngest has been the most interested and has totally rearranged my low cabinet that holds pots, pans, colander, steamer basket, etc. It's messy, but that's how learning goes. My other low cabinet has cans -- which my daughters stacked and my son rolls across the floor -- and a few packaged foods (picking up...
First, thank you for this thread. I have considered asking a similar question myself a few times, so this was helpful to me too. Quote: Originally Posted by DesertMommy ALERT! My experience here: As many of my wonderful peace-loving :generous RU friends kids grow up I find some of the kids to be self-centered demanding bores. And I recently said to myself, "its like they (the parents) bow down to the altar of their kids." I'm not interested in that...
What a coincidence. Just this afternoon, I listened to my MIL tell my SIL about a "lesson" she gave to my nephew (SIL's son, age 5). MIL and Nephew were observing some delivery men struggle with a heavy refrigerator and she pointed out what "hard work" they were doing (rather pityingly) and told him he must study hard and go to college so he won't have to do such work. I hadn't formulated enough thoughts on the topic to say anything at the time, but it bothered me so...
How do we unschool? We just live and learning happens. Really it does. I'm still in awe of it, but we've been living this way for many years now and I've come to trust my children and the natural learning process. It is hard to understand before you've experienced it though; it takes a while to deschool. I'm still deschooling! Examples of how my kids learn naturally: My oldest daughter increased her reading vocabulary today because she decided to pick up my...
I considered the same question for my second and third, but decided that it's nice to send one in the mail for people who like to have something to hold in their hands, and even more so because I include photographs. In fact, I designed my last baby's announcement in Photoshop with my digital scrapbooking skills.
My mom nursed each of us a little bit longer: my older sister about 6 weeks, me about 6 months, and my younger brother about 18 months! She has natural-minded tendencies in general so yes, that probably influenced my decision to breastfeed. I certainly read a lot and learned about it on my own as well. My parents have been very supportive of all my parenting decisions. DH's mom never nursed and doesn't really understand, especially extended breastfeeding. FIL has...