or Connect

Posts by MommyMichele

You sound ready to go on unschooling (as I believe it is just living life naturally, which begins at birth). The only other person who needs to agree is your husband. It would be nice if the rest of the family can come to understand homeschooling, but in my experience only homeschoolers really understand homeschooling. That goes doubly (at least) for unschooling. But it doesn't matter if they don't understand; you and your husband get to make the choices for your...
I think most 13 month olds don't talk yet, based on my reading and studying child development in college a decade ago. As for my experience, only my first child was talking at 13 months, and that was only a dozen or two words. My youngest has only just begun his language explosion.
Quote: Originally Posted by Chicky2 My ? would be WHY would anyone have children in the house who do not share in the responsibilities/chores? We think that would be irresponsible parenting. Our children start helping out around age 2. In my case, it's probably because I didn't have a plan for it, didn't even think of it ahead of time. I didn't have a regular chore myself until I was almost a teen when my sister and I were arguing over who...
Quote: Originally Posted by Treasuremapper We are homeschooling, and we decided that in spite of all the advice, we are cutting allowances in half and paying for chores. I know, I know, I read all the very good reasons for doing it the other way. ... Great! Everybody was convincing me and then you came and got me reconsidering again. sigh LOL (We homeschool too.)
I finally finished reading the Who gives allowance? thread and I'm still not sure. We have been indecisive about how to go about it, so we haven't done anything yet except talk about it. My oldest definitely would like to have money, and both girls often ask for things when we're out and I often wish I could tell them to use their money if they want rather than trying to decide yes or no. I'm not sure I understand fully the concerns with tying allowance to chores. We...
Gosh! You just reminded me that my nearly 8 year old daughter still can't tie shoes. LOL She has been zipping for a long time though. My 5 year old zips with effort and does not tie shoes yet either.
I read this book a few years ago. I'd like to re-read it and join in this discussion. Now to go find the book...
This thread has me laughing. I've been calling it mommymilk since my oldest was a little baby and they all have said some form of that. My oldest was an early talker and said "mommymilk" pretty clearly. My second said it much less clearly. My current nursling, now 29 months, just says, "milk" but the L is barely pronounced. I think it's cool that he's learning breastmilk is milk first. We don't have cowmilk in our house because my middle child has severe...
I talked her out of it when she was 5 and 6 and at the beginning of this school year, but when she brought it up again in February, I decided to enroll her. It was an ordeal (and she chose to return home, yay!) but I'm glad she got to see school for herself. That's really all she wanted. She is that way a lot, needing to learn things on her own, not just be told.
My oldest nursed to sleep until she was about 3.5 when I decided (because tandem-nursing went badly for me) to set limits. She most wanted to nurse to wake up, not go to sleep, which surprised me. She was my biggest "comfort nurser" and gave it up so gradually, I wasn't even sure when our last nursing session was, other than sometime after her 4th birthday. My second nursed to sleep until she weaned at almost 2.5 with my encouragement when I got pregnant with number 3. ...