or Connect

Posts by MommyMichele

I held all three of my babies for most of their naps in their first years. My first daughter began napping alone around 8 months when I got a twin size mattress, put it on the floor, nursed her to sleep (it took at least a half hour a lot of the time) and then rolled away from her carefully. And because she was a first born she had absolute silence for her naptime and I had time to myself. My second baby was held for naps and falling asleep at night out of necessity. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by frontierpsych ... for whatever reason still insists solids should be introduced at 4 mo and NO LATER than 6 mo because breastmilk won't sufficiently support them at that age... Ha ha ha! I wish I could show your doctor photos of my three children who all began eating solids gradually, living mostly on mommymilk well into their second years, while managing to stay at the top of those silly weight & height charts! This...
Homebirth (baby #3) was the biggest one for me because I had to convince my husband. It was the first time we ever really angrily argued, and it took a month. However, the most on-going issue about which I've felt most defensive is discipline, probably because I've gone pretty far out of the mainstream. We don't just unschool reading and math, but also meals, bedtimes, jumping on furniture...
Well, my daughter finally got to try school today. There was a delay because of snow and our extremely cautious school district. She loved it and says she wants to keep going. I'm feeling sad, but trying to remind myself it's great that she's happy, and that I shouldn't be wishing negative things like still holding on to hope that she may yet change her mind. Still, I'm wondering, of those of you whose kids tried school and returned home, how long did they last...
I'd think so. Of course the reason for the induction is probably a factor. I was induced with #2 because of being 41 weeks. But I had a easy homebirth with #3 (at 42 weeks, incidentally!).
Gosh, no one else has here children who tried out school? Oh, maybe the ones who did stayed in school and no longer visit this forum. Okay, how about advice for how to show my daughter that I can do better than I have been about providing her with what she thinks she missing, which I think is socializing....? I'm an introvert and she's an extrovert. I have been more conscientiously spending time having fun with her in the last week. Only two more days until her...
I used to put cooked ground beef through a baby food grinder for my middle daughter around her first birthday. At that time she had a RAST which identified many allergies and we stopped all foods except breastmilk for a month before starting anew. Pears and ground beef were her first foods then (she had zeroes on RAST for all meats). They even taste good mixed together!
My always unschooled almost 8 year old daughter is actually going to go to public school on Monday. A few times over the years she has wondered about school but after talking about it the interest always passed, and I'm sure even now that we've gone through the week-long ordeal of enrolling (paperwork, assessment...) and she is really going to try it out, she still has an understanding of the advantages of homeschooling. But she told me that while her Dad and I have...
Originally we had agreed on two. After one, I was having so much fun I said I wanted four instead! He said, maybe three. After a rough time with #2, he said let's stop. I reluctantly agreed. Vasectomy. Oops, here comes #3, conceived the week before the vasectomy. No regrets, but I often feel like I should have stopped at two. I was a great mom with one, still pretty good with two, but I am often overwhelmed by three. [pardon me for crashing a forum I usually...
As soon as my oldest daughter transitioned from in-arms naps to napping in bed (around 7 months) naptime was Me Time. It got harder to do that with my second and third babies, but we still have quiet time when baby naps. He's giving up naps now, though. But I'll keep taking some time to myself. I have to, or I become a grumpy mommy.