or Connect

Posts by Mama Shifra

I have a book (unfortunately out of print, but many libraries may have it) called Toddlerobics by Zita Newcome.  It is a book portraying a toddler exercise class (with really cute pictures) exercising to a rhyme.  I would read this book and exercise with the children.  It was great for getting the wiggles out.  Then I would do rhymes and fingerplays with the children like "The Wheels on the Bus", "Pat a Cake", "The Entsy, Wensty Spider", etc. There are many books of...
This is not on television, but the book Laugh 'n' Learn Spanish : Featuring the #1 Comic Strip "For Better or For Worse" by Lynn Johnston and Brenda Wegmann is a compilation of the comic strip "For Better or For Worse" translated into Spanish for Spanish newspapers.  This book is meant for students of Spanish as a foreign language.  This book is not easy Spanish, but there are translation of all the comics in the back, and if you are really persistant, it is great...
I think that My First Classical Music Book by Genevieve Helsby and Jason Chapman might be close to what you are looking for.  It includes a section on Handel, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahams, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky and John Adams that includes brief biographies of these composers and why they are significiant in the musical world.  The books also comes with a CD that has samples of music being discussed in the book.  The biographies are not a complete story of the...
Not to hijack the thread, but my son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 5, so there are preschoolers who are diagnosed with ADHD.  However, what really go to us was his violence.  Because of his ADHD, he was impulsive and would hurt people, HARD.  I was afraid for my jaw, for one thing, so we did medicate him.  I am not implying, though, that this is the issue with goin' green's son.  It seems that goin' green feels that her son is just bored in school.  My experience is...
I have not seen this film, but from reading books like What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know) and What High Schools Don't Tell You by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross, I can well imagine the pressure that kids in affluent suburbs feel.  Their parents imply that if they don't get into very competitive schools, their future is completely ruined.  I know because here in Dallas there is a lot of that.  What kids today really need is to see where they...
Susan Striker, the author of the Anti-Coloring Books, has two books on preschoolers and art that are very informative: Please Touch and Young at Art: Teaching Toddlers Self-Expression, Problem-Solving Skills, and an Appreciation for Art.  In Young at Art, she points out that the purpose of art lessons in preschool is to introduce children to art materials, including messy ones like clay and painting.  Are the teachers and/or parents so worried about keeping the children...
My dad used to go into the "Shaimos" room of the shul (a room where they had holy books that had been discarded and were awaiting burial, as per Jewish law) and pick up prayerbooks for all of us (I'm one of 11 children, so it would have been prohibitive to buy us all new prayerbooks, especially for the high holidays).  Usually those discarded books are from people who have died and whose children do not want their prayer books, Bibles, etc.  If you are looking for holy...
Another "fact" that I picked up from Ambelside Online is Charlotte Mason was addressing upper middle class parents in her writings.  People with nannys to take care of their children and presumably maids to take care of their houses (maybe even cooks).  I don't know about you, but I am the maid, nanny, cook and teacher in this household (with a little help from my husband and children).  While we admittedly have things that they did not have, like washing machines, we are...
I have found a couple of things helpful for getting my daughter to practice:   1.  Don't use the word "practice".  Have her "play" the piano for you.  Have her play through her current music.  Tell her you want a concert.  You want to unwind hearing her play music.   2.  If you play any instrument, no matter how badly, see if you can play along with her.  If you make a mistake, tell her, "You see, this is how musicians play.  When they make a mistake, they keep...
I would like to suggest the book My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage by Elizabeth Borton De Trevino. It is a pretty old book so maybe your local library has it. Elizabeth Borton De Trevino wrote pretty candidly about the challenges of an American (even one who spoke fluent Spanish) being married to a Mexican.