or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

I left them alone for 15 minute car drop offs when they were 3 and 5, increased to an hour by the time they were 5 and 7. Now they are 7 and 9 and can stay home alone for about 2 -3 hours. I think the age is EXTREMELY relative.  I happen to have two kids who rarely fight, and the oldest has always been conservative/cautious, so it was an easy decision to make. I think had they been in reverse birth order or fighters, it would have been different. I don't think there are...
Downtown business district for us is too far for them to bike (now aged 7 and 9) and neither are competent on the bus or train without me. So I have no idea. As far as walking to the local playground and playing on their own, or walking to a friends house, since they were 3 and 5.
Cute answer.  My kids are in between. I don't think I have any don'ts. It's all common sense. My kids know not to bring in wet, dirty sticks, but a stick that has been carved with a knife and taken care of, sure, why not. I think they generally have enough common sense to know what is allowed and what isn't.  I do have a concrete item though - and that is guns. Unless a police officer is literally standing in my kitchen, no guns. Not that that would happen, only guns...
Say thank you. I let my kids have the gifts. It would be a rare item I would not let them keep - box of razor blades perhaps.  My 7yo DD is into monster high barbie dolls. Hideous things - projecting an image of not just anorexically skinny, perfect body, but also fishnet stockings and whore makeup to go along with it. But I've let her have two, because she wants them and her friends have them and they like to discuss them. She plays with them, but not very often, so they...
 This makes a lot of sense to me. I would actually explain all this to your DD - all the confusing signals and messages. But not just explain, not lecture, but discuss. Leave it very open for your DD to have a dialog with you. Asking her "how do you feel about this" "do you see this as conflicting" - leave it open for both of you. This also is a great suggestion. YOur daughter is 8, not 3. She is able to understand consequences. And that consequences are not just for kids...
I agree with a lot of the PP's. The kids are going to act out, even in the very best of circumstances, because it is new and stressful for them. That is natural. This to me looks like a time bomb. Why are you moving a father, his two kids, to a new place, a new home, new school, have to make all new friends, partner has to find a new job (if he works)… I think if you want the relationship to work, which means not just your partner, but these two kids, you should be moving...
First, I think you are a great mom for being there, in whatever way you can. That is a huge plus. I am not sure this is standard depression, not wanting to pull the trigger but being OK with a car running you over. When someone is in severe depression, that is one of the signs, a complete lack of caring about what happens to the self. But still having the strength to try to pretend to the outside world that you are OK, that you are functioning. I convinced my husband for...
Terrible experience, I can see how that could make you extra cautious in return. But you are KIDDING ME - A 12 YO?! Isn't it 15 you can get a drivers permit in the states? So a 12 yo can't be by themselves or walk around the block, but 3 years later same person can drive a car down a highway at 65mph! See, that to me, would be child endangerment, to expect a 12 t be treated like an infant and then expect all that growth, all that maturity, all that responsibility, to...
I feel like I am reading rules made for an extremely rigid place. Here there is huge emphasis about no bullying, playing in groups, sharing, not excluding. But playground, recess time, is do whatever you want, as long as you follow the above words. If you want to play ball upside down and backwards, fine. You don't want to play ball at all, you want to make forts out of the old christmas trees, fine. You want to go on the moon cars, practice tricks on your scooter, apply...
Same. 3 and 5.  Funny, I think this post makes me look like I'm raising free-range chickens. I guess I sort of am. However, what is funny is that my DD has a new friend down the street, named Oliva. But I have taken to calling her Pippi because OMG she is always on her own - just appears on the doorstep, can Lea play, can we now both go over to Marias house... Yes, fine. Does your dad know where you are? No, doesn't matter. Do you need to be home for dinner? Doesn't mater....