or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

My son is in 2nd grade and my daughter started 0 grade (=1st grade in other countries), both at the local public school. Socially it is excellent - walkable, easy to make play dates...Academically it is poor (bottom 3rd). We were willing to forgo the high education because of the social elements. This is ok for my sons class.   However, due to extreme budget cuts, my daughters class is totally unacceptable. Kids having to be restrained, taken out of class 5-10 times...
There are too many variables to be able to comment fairly on this thread. OP, I think that you would have garnered more complimentary and supportive feedback, had you worded your original post from the p.o.v. of "in my experience" and "with my kids today". No parent likes to be preached to, about any parenting topic. Society in general already feels inclined to preach, frequently and loudly, to parents. It's almost a national sport.   In my experience I was in the...
These are all normal questions. They are honest questions. As kids get older, they learn to filter, to put on a fake front, whatever you want to call it. I wish we adults had LESS filters. I don't mean saying "oh, your dress is so ugly" but when asked, "no, I don't particularly like the pattern of your dress, it washes you out."
Agree with PP, do it when you want, your DH will do it the rest of the time, because he wants too. Be generous.  If you are opposed, then how about once every other week? Then your relatives get a chunk of time to be together. What a great gift you would be giving them. You might receive a lot more than you can imagine. And if you don't, then after a month or two give them notice that you are not willing to do it anymore.
Well, we have been to the 4 local private schools and put her on the waiting list for 3. The 4th was so full they have closed their waiting list. The other 3 have waiting lists of about 20 kids each. So it is highly improbable that she will get into any of them. Just not realistic. We are totally scr****. Backup plan - we could get her into the international school, which is very new and just getting it's sea legs, but most of the students are here temporarily (parents...
I could have written your post - word for word. As I said to my DDs teacher, in discussing this exact same issue, the ones who suffer the most are the 3 kids who can not handle the normal classroom, who are frustrated and overwhelmed. However, that is for their mother and father to fight for them getting the resources they need. I have to fight for MY DD. She has a right to learn, and if 80% of the attention is going to 3 kids and the rest of the class is slowed down,...
Kost famous toys from each decade. Love this. I'm looking at stuff from the 70s. Yes, I realize I am dating myself.  http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2049243,00.html
I feel that way in relation to objects. My dd has shoes, clothes, lunch boxes... but she does not have 10 pair shoes, 50 dresses or 25 lunch boxes. Her best friend gets whatever she wants, and is often giving my DD her leftovers or hand-me downs. She even says she feels sorry for DD because she only has 2 lunch boxes or whatever. Some of it makes sense, like the clothes, as her bf is taller than she is, but it is really ironic as financially we are in a totally different...
My kids eat a ton of vegetables - as long as they are fresh and raw. Carrots, cucumber, snap peas, broccoli, spinach, cabbage... As soon it is cooked they won't touch it. I like both raw and cooked. The only thing I don't like is going to my in-laws, where they pull carrots and pick peas straight from the garden - they are so naturally sweet and wonderful - and then throw them in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Talking about ruining something beautiful.