or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

eaten: carrots, cucumbers, apple, pear, plum, banana, raisins, date bar, sausage / pepperoni / paté on whole grain, cubed cheese snack (I call it plastic cheese)   sometimes eaten: yellow/orange/red bell pepper, walnuts, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, ham on whole grain   not eaten: green bell pepper, peanut butter, celery   used to be eaten but no longer: cheese on whole grain   mine are nearly 6 and just turned 8
I find it disturbing, in the torture/humiliation vein. I don't think I would want my 5yo and 8yo to see it. Maybe I would feel differently if they were teens, maybe even pre-teens. Interesting to read all the different views. I'd really rather see the principle on a tricycle with a wig. 
Thank you all so much for your insight. Your experience Miranda puts another spin on it, but I don't think that will be an issue here. I was the one that went to public while my brother and sister went to private, and if I was angry about anything, it was it that it took my parents 5 years to get me out of the private hell I was in.   The more I think about it, the more I believe private will suit my daughters needs better. My son is happy where he is, which is the...
Anyone have experience with their children in different schools? The good and the bad?    My 8yo son is in public and thriving there. Great location, local kids to play with, average in his class academically and socially he is shy but has his friends. We wanted our 6yo in the same school, but for multiple reasons it is not working. She likes being in school, is making friends, but the class itself is a disaster. The school is not willing to switch her to the other...
Hi, Yes I am in Denmark. It is pure budget cuts. No extra hands, no extra teachers, no training, and I mean zero, for the teachers... Everyone is losing in this. We have a meeting tomorrow. We will request that either my DD gets moved to the other class, or a guarantee that two specific kids are re-evaluated and moved into the special class next year. Problem is, I don't think the school can guarantee this - they think they should be in the special class, they would have...
Not sure if looking for advice or just to let off steam.  My DS is in 2nd grade at public school. We have had 1 major problem, which was dealt with professionally and right away. In all respects the school is what we want. We are very happy with his teachers, his classmates, his friends. It is literally right down the street, which makes it perfect for casual play dates. He is thriving.    My DD just started at the same school. Huge budget cuts this year. This year...
Just want to give you input. I have a 5yo and 7yo, both are bright but I have no idea if technically gifted or not. I'm in Denmark. The cut-off is Dec 31, which is somewhat flexible. Meaning it is the kinder garden who 98% of the time asses the children, and they very often keep october-december birthday kids in kinder garden an extra year. I have a 7yo with an October and a 5 yo with a late November birthday. Both of them were clearly ready to start on-time - which...
Hmm, I'd also like to read, but not for 40 dollars.
I was raised in the USA and live in Denmark, and have seen both extremes. Any extreme is unhealthy. It is extreme to get no support and be pressured to use formula in the USA. But it is also an extreme to get no access AT ALL to formula in the hospital, when really needed, until your baby gets so dehydrated that they pee salt due to kidney failure. Try looking at your own newborn with a red diaper and not get upset. Extremes in any direction are never healthy.
You can discuss with rationale people. You can have differences, and agree to disagree. But if your MIL is unstable and manipulative, it is a waste of time to discuss, or even argue, with her. She will twist it around and it will all be about herself - because that is all she can see - herself. And if your husband is still caught in it, still waiting, hoping... for his mom to approve, then you put him in an awkward spot as well. Because he will always be disappointed...