or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

I joined for the home birth/natural childbirth info, and then ended up taking on most of the rest of the package. It was wonderful over the years. I feel I both gave and got a lot of good advice here. As others said, it has shaped how I parent, in a positive way.   Since the magazine closed down I think the forums have pretty much crawled towards a slow death. Posts are few and far between, with only 10-20% of the feedback of last year. A shame really. 
This. New hw an sw comes out, and his friends will have it. If you have a current rule about screen time, maybe you can add a rule about "new stuff" time. If he wants some of the new things, then he can do some extra work to make the money to get them. My DS was not yet 6 when he asked for a DS for his birthday. We said no, and he was sad he did not get one. We thought he would drop it, but he asked again and again. We told him he could do some extra work to help pay for...
Agree with ollyoxenfree. I say I don't understand what they are saying. And then they keep whining! UGH! And then I say again I don't understand. And they whine. Sometimes this repeats 4, 5 even 6 times, until they can talk nicely. If it keeps going on, I bark out "NO", at that point I don't give a darn what their issue is.    We have just instituted a no swearing rule. Maybe this would also work for whining? Hmm, may do this myself. We made a rule because DS was...
This may be way out there, but look up Flow - psychology on wikipedia. When she is engrossed in her natural environment, she can be in a highly creative state. A state which is challenging, interesting, and freely creative. When there is interference - you asking her to tell a story, then she is performing for you. So all that creativity will not come so naturally.   BTDT. I was like that as a child. Painting, drawing, writing... for myself allowed me to get to that...
Bolding mine. These are bigger issues than chocolate. I am NOT saying "bad" issues, just issues - cultural, emotional, familiar... So I think, for you, if it was not chocolate, it would be ice cream, or potato chips, or diet coke or substitute your poison here. I think it is complicated. Just having a substitute would not be a solution. You need to find multiple substitutions. You need to find other things.   For example, think of other things that you would like to help...
I'd ask someone about their "babe in arms" policy. Might turn out to be a non-issue and not a problem. Just leave the ceremony, go out for a walk, when/if your babe is crying. When I got married, all our friends were either still single, or had no kids, so I didn't even think about it. But I would have said "adults only", only because I was clueless about kids, pre-kids. I agree that everyone is allowed to have the wedding of their choice, and everyone is allowed to...
Thank you both for the links. Lovely to see what paintings are there. I did actually see that specific Rembrant painting in Berlin last week! Very exciting. I hope I can find something. 
After the recent time mag. cover I have thinking a lot about breast feeding poses. And the huge lack of them in fine art. There is special emphasis of mother-and-child poses throughout western culture, mostly religious examples. But none are breast feeding. There are very very few paintings or sculptures of actual breast feeding.   When I imagine mother and child, I think of calm, tender, playful, having fun... and breast feeding. I feel inspired to paint a breast...
OK, your MIL is a nut basket. Obviously. But, um, even with any stretch of the imagination, why would she want you to do something with her on mothers day? She is not your mother, you are not her mother. Makes no sense.    Seriously, she sounds like a total passive-agressive manipulator. Poisonous. I have a friend that has one of those for a MIL, and she realized there was no way to reason with her, because she wasn't reasonable, at all. She wasn't rational. And no matter...
I disagree with the pp. She does not have to treat them all equally. She can like and dislike whomever she wants. But she should not be rude and mean, and if she is, then calling her on it is a valid option.      Sounds like she is a bit of a nut, for whatever reason. And your family is used to her antics, so they accept it. And you confronting it is making waves, challenging the status quo, which families HATE. They often would rather live with unhappy, stressful,...