or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

Oh my, it's been fantastic here. Mine are 25 months apart, and are best friends. DS never had the severe jealousy, younger-sibling-taking-over problem, as he was just 2 when she was born. He did revert to babyhood for a few months, but that was it. As soon as DD could walk and talk they were friends, and have only gotten closer over the years. Fight on rare occasions - a minor disagreement maybe every other day, a real fight maybe once a week, otherwise fine. They are 7...
Gotta be the grown-up, I know. Just a rant. I have a 7 yo and a 5 yo, and a husband. I love them all dearly.   I have a degree in art and now that the kids are older I am painting again, and loving it. I am opening an atelier in town next month. All very exciting. I have an opportunity to apply for an art residency.   Pros: I have never been to a residency but have gotten tons of positive reviews about how intense it is, how much you grow and learn......
I don't see what you have posted that the girls father has done to "totally ruin her"? Unless you mean he has decided to use one of his days to put her in a " public orphanage" - by which I guess you mean a day care? 
I think the real issue here is that this is very negative towards your boys. Maybe not intentional by the people that open their mouths without thinking, but it is a problem. Also later for your DD, who might get the impression her identity as a girl is paramount to just being herself. So I think you have to address it, more for the sake of your boys and daughter than the other person. A comment like "I love all my children the same" or "We finally got another child to...
OP, you are saying 3-4 hours a month. It would be easier to just get a baby sitter for these times. Do not expect your mom to change. She won't. And if you stop expecting her to be more involved, you won't be disappointed when she does not. You will feel better in the long run. Yes, it is frustrating she lives so close and does not care. But she has her own life, and babysitting is not on her priority list, for whatever reason.    We get a baby sitter about 4 or 5...
He is 4 and just got a new sibling. His life has completely changed, radically. It takes time to adjust to a sibling. And in the meantime, there is often reversion to babyhood. And if that is coupled with the opposite from the parent, suddenly expecting more out of the "older" child, it is a recipe for a big mess. I'd remind myself that he is only 4 when he does things and he may not have the attention span, discipline, self-reliance that you wish for him, yet. I agree...
I think sometimes it is ok to take a step back and consider how much of our rules really need to be 100%. I think the one day a week option is great. My Dd loves this horrid fake cheese food thing, I call plastic cheese. I don't buy it. Her best friend doesn't like it, but the best friend gets her mom to pack the stuff, so they can trade lunches! Well, when I found out I had a good laugh with the other mom. And we just continue doing that. My DD gets 99% healthy food,...
I think it depends on the kid. My 7yo DS loves lego. His father is an engineer and programmer, so all this building comes naturally, and his mother is an artist, so there might be some creative outlet in there as well. So he loves following the book, and building the complex plane, ship, whatever.... After a week in it's "proper" form, the ship may morph into a space ship, into a laser thing, be completely disassembled and added to the buckets of all other legos. And...
Denmark is similar - learn to read in 0 class, which is age 6 - but this is very lightweight. Like if your kid feels like it. Some letters, some simple words. Again, if your kid wants to. Nothing required. Actual reading and writing "the big dog sat on a hat" starts in 1 class - age 7. I think the overall idea is that many kids (Not all) are not interested or ready to read at age 4 or 5. So why force them to sit down and do it, because it can then easily become an...
Wow, how humiliating. Your 7 yo has a right to her own private thoughts. My mother did this (when I was much older) and I learned to never trust her again with this sort of information, because she had determined I had no right to my own personal space and privacy. Yet, I did have a right, as a separate person. I think reading another persons diary is highly invasive. I mean, if she was 16 and giving clear messages that she was having a heavy drug problem or suicidal,...