or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

Bolding mine. Different beliefs are fine. Racist, bigoted beliefs are not OK.  This is a huge red flag. Someone convincing a child to keep a secret from his/her parents. That is a huge, smothering amount of guilt a child must bear.  ITA. Yes, throw their terminology right back at them. Think of the phrases they use, and then use the same. I would also call a spade a spade. The people they associate with are not used to hearing the spade called a spade.    Agree. It all...
This. It changes nothing.   And I agree with a PP who said people are going to hate, regardless. Those are not the people you, or your daughter, should waste energy on.    Right now you are not in a position to give help, support or constructive criticism to your daughter, because you are living in an angry, shocked, prejudiced place. Give yourself time. See if you are capable of growing and change. I am not saying it is easy, it isn't. And even if you don't say a word,...
Some of it is competition for moms time, which I think all kids with siblings have to some degree. It is a natural, survival mechanism. If your child is old enough, showing her with a clock or calendar may be helpful.   Also, some kids are bottomless pits and nothing is enough. My son is like that. I was like that, or so I was told, by my parents, that it was never enough. Intense personality. It has its drawbacks, but also its positives - high achieving. I just tell...
I chose parent-centered for both. I grew up in a VERY formal, strict parent-centered home. Our current home is much more casual, fun, creative. Myself, I consider it family-centered. But I think on this forum we would be considered parent-centered. I think when the kids were infants we were child-centered. I think one has to be. When they were toddlers probably the same. Now our kids are 6 and 8. We make a lot of family decisions, but DH and I have the final say, so that...
Emotional abuse can be very damaging. Not the once off F-U, but those kind of comments, on a repeated basis are severe abuse. It affects self-esteem, stress levels (which over a long term effect body and brain chemistry in a growing body), social interactions, concentration, confidence...    The reality is CPS can't and won't do anything about it. It has taken society some time to learn to report and take seriously physical abuse, then sexual abuse. We aren't at the...
My kids are 8 and 6 and are the best friends, and have been best friends, for many years. We've been lucky that they have always just worked well together. I think A LOT of it is luck actually - it just has to be two personalities that mesh in a certain way, and you don't really have control over that.   When my DD was a baby, my DS had very little interest in her. I mean really, she was a blob that cried and dribbled and knocked things over. What fun is that? When...
Meemee, no the gov't isn't changing anything. My guess, and it is a guess, is that in traditional danish style, it will take 2 or 3 years for the public and gov't to realize this is a bad policy. And then another 2 years to go back to the previous policy. As I said, it is pure budget cuts with a friendly name put on it. How many kids have to go to the ER before this happens I do not know. How many classes will be pulled down, how many teachers will end up sick with...
This is good that you are happy with the move. And that you can see all the extra work she has to do now points to how little education she was getting before. Although I am sure it is stressful, I imagine it is much more stressful for her than you, after all she is the one jumping through hoops, learning all new study habits, learning a whole new social structure (which I would say in the beginning is actually much more important than what she learns academically.) I...
Update: two weeks ago, one of the children who needs extra help was seated at the table across from my daughter. The large table "just accidentally fell over, all by itself". The corner of the table punctured my daughters hand, swelling up all her fingers and turning them blue-black. Luckily no broken bones. Yesterday this same child pushed another little girl into a cabinet so hard that they had to take her to ER, due to head trauma. We went to another public school in...
Looney. Really young kids would hopefully not be in a class or area so huge that they could be lost. And older kids who don't want to be tracked would just take it off and leave it in a classroom.  Sounds like using the local population as a guinea pig test case. "we try to track people, albeit in a totally unenforceable way. Let's see how the public responds. Will they balk or will they accept like sheep or..." Who is doing the tracking? Not that I'm paranoid.