or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

Quote: Originally Posted by sebandg'smama I don't know denimtiger, I think that unless there is some indication of violence from the mother, it can't hurt and might help a lot to reach out to her first. To get the bigger picture before calling the authorities. It seems that most of society either turns away and minds their own business or go the other extreme and call the police or CPS. And imho, that is a shame. I agree. Why not ring the...
Quote: Originally Posted by savithny And you don't wait until a child is an adult to let them figure out how to cross a street on their own, or watch for cars, or recognize that the guy on the corner is *not* their friend just because he says he has a missing puppy. You start by letting them walk a few blocks on their own, watching from the window. You let them walk a bit further. You let them ride their bikes. The process of learning to navigate the...
I must be living on a different planet. JMO, but some of these enviornments sound like prison to me. Not letting an 11 yo walk a few blocks to school without mommy? How will he/she be prepared to go off to college in a few short years, and do everything by him/herself, if he/she gets no basic experience now? I have a 4yo and 2yo and I let them play outside alone. I let them walk down the street and to the playground. If they go further than the playground, I come with...
DS goes to mixed age kindergarten for 3yo-6yo. DD goes to mixed age daycare for 6moths-3yo. The only difference I can see between the two places is literally the ages. Otherwise, they are the same; both 100% play based. Their days are very socially and culturaly oriented. Most of the time they are outside or on a trip: long walks to various playgrounds in the local area or train or bus ride to the ocean, circus, petting zoo... When they are inside, they do woodworking or...
The word Gifted, and Danish equivalent, is really, really in the closet and not to be discussed. This is a cultural difference; there are a lot of things people do not say in public. Heck, I can't even bring the topic up with DH except in a round-about way. I have had friends, and the occasional acquaintance, say "she is really advanced" kind of statements, sometimes to me, sometimes with DD within earshot, but never the G word. I never use the word with my kids. I am...
Quote: Originally Posted by staceychev I saw your subject line and had to peek and see if you were talking about a four year old. Four year old dawdling? Check. No advice, just commiseration. It drives me batty, too, especially when I have to get to work. (This is horrible, but I often rely on threats and bribery.) Oh my, I belong here. 4 yo DS, MAJOR Dawdler. Honestly it drives DH more batty than me. I have the patience for it, only...
Quote: Originally Posted by JSMa We moved into this house to HELP my parents. They have been flipping houses and got stuck with this one when the economy and market crashed and after it sat empty for a year and a half, they were desperate to have some income coming in from it... DH and I were looking for a place at the time and decided to help them out. Well, this puts the situation in a different light. I think perhaps in your moms warped...
I have to second everyone else's opinions. It was H*LL the first 6 months, DD was a tiny babe, but DS was still also a baby in many ways, and still really needed me. It was honestly really hard. After DS turned 3 and DD turned 1 and she started to really interact with him, in a way that he enjoyed, it got better. And over time it got only better and better and better. They are 4.5 and 2.5 now and the best of friends. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw though. My DS...
Quote: Originally Posted by denimtiger I just think it's asking a lot of a person who is supporting someone to have NO opinion whatsoever in the matter. When money/time/resources belong to someone, that someone generally feels entitled to some control over how they are spent. Obviously if you are giving those things to another legal adult, you can't actually dictate what they do with them. As a human being, though, it's hard not to have an opinion...
As a child I had a room with a small walk in closet with a light in it. If my brain was churning on a thought or art project, it just could not shut down at 8 or 9 or 10 pm. In fact, lying there in the stillness it would race more. So I'd get up in the night and sneak in the closet with a towel under the door so the light would not go into the next room and I would be up all night working on my project. The ramifications would hit the next morning though, when I could...