or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

Quote: Originally Posted by denimtiger It sounds like there are a couple of big culprits here. First of all, it sounds like you spend a lot of time with your mom, and rely on her help with the baby a lot. Secondly, it sounds like your parents are still big on being in the parent role, and they see your dependence on them as a reason to really keep filling that parent role. And your living in a house that they own (and I may be wrong, but I'm going...
I want to offer a different perspective. I really like MamaStarbird's words. I think such a letter could be wonderfully done, and taken well. But that totally depends on the peronality of the person recieving the letter. I wrote such a letter to my parents about my homebirth options, though not quite so sweet and more factual info, and it backfired. It just opened all my choices up for debate, and I did not change their views at all. They didn't respect me for it, they...
I was in the hospital for 6 days after my first, DS's C-section. They wrote on my chart I was a candidate for PPD (actually I had PTSD - caused by the hospital). A nurse was supposed to come a week later, but I think got the heads up and came after 3 days. Our personalities did not mix well, but she was supportive without being intrusive, just did weighing, ask about bf, nothing about vax. She came regularly (maybe 8 times?) in his first 6 months. I thought it was very...
Sounds like a lot more fun than what I get: DD "May I watch. Move your bottom mommy, I can't see you pee." I'd much rather have a light show. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to go to the bathroom by myself in nearly 5 years (which coincides with DS age). Funny how DH has that privilege. What is weirder is I guess I am so used to it I don't care. Half the time I leave the door open, as it will be opened anyway. May I ask: when do kids generally start letting...
DS had a very short no phase. DD never had a no phase. Wishing you a short one!
OMG! You are me. Have you stolen my kids? Right down to the fork and chopstick scenario (replace fork with spoon - no - the blue spoon with stripes). Anyway, back to topic: DS was 3.5 and DD was 18 months and he had ZERO interest. I was tired with DD and totally let it go. I decided if he still had no interest at 4 then I would re-look at toilet training. Might be important - his personality is perfectionist. So once he decides something, he WILL DO IT. But no way me,...
Quote: Originally Posted by readytobedone mostly what's been hard for us is the fearfulness (water, loud noises, sand--sometimes even seeing pictures of stuff in books), and the extreme persistence in trying to find loopholes in rules (if you say no jumping on the couch, it's like you can see the wheels turning--what if i take the pillow off and jump on it? what if i jump ONTO the couch from elsewhere? and then she says stuff like, "look! i not jumping on...
IMO, I find deep hyperfocusing leads to hypoglycemia. When hyperfocusing, the brain is using up huge stores of energy while busily processing a long complex task. But at the same time the rest of the world is shut out so I do not take care of the basics, like stopping to eat. A bad combination, at least for me and my DS. DD seems to be unaffected so far, but DS and myself have severe hypoglycemia problems. Our blood sugar crashes and we just CAN NOT function. I mean to...
Quote: Originally Posted by flapjack Also, by posting only in PTGC, you miss out on the experience of people like me- and I bet I'm not the only parent of a gifted child on MDC who doesn't bother with that forum. It just has nothing to offer me at this time in my life. This is totally logical. I used to post in the breast feeding forum. I don't anymore because neither DS nor DD bf anymore so that forum has nothing to offer me at this time in my...
Some things you need to let go, some things you can try and get the message through to your DH. Regarding the rhetorical questions, I would give a concrete example to DH, and a more positive solution. For example, next time it happens, I would remember the conversation DS and DH have. Then at the end of the day when DS was asleep and you and DH had a few calm moments, I would say something like "today you asked DS which outfit he wanted to wear, but when DS said the...