or Connect

Posts by AllisonR

Quote: Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold Yep, I agree that you need to make cleaning himself up after an accident unpleasant. He should have to help you clean up his underwear and take a bath. He will discover that it takes less time to go on the toilet than it does to do the after-mess clean up. This, exactly. DS was not into the toilet, AT ALL. And I let him be. It just wasn't important imo. And he is a control freak, so you can't tell...
Everyone's already covered the "two is too young to tell". (the english language really SUCKS sometimes.) I came to this board when my DD was little more than a year. She is one of those "in your face" kind of gifted kids - probably not PG or anything, but doing everything very well and very early. DS is 2 years older and I had never considered the term gifted for him. But now at 4.5 yo I see it. He is like a great cheese, he ages well. It's just a totally different,...
I respectfully disagree that memories do not go back before verbal skills, or before a certain month. Some babies remember as far back as their birth. And they do not have to be gifted to remember this. Even with poor language skills, my DS as a toddler remarked about the snake that was inside the egg with him and how it was cut off (umbilical cord). Certainly not all, or even many, toddlers do this, but it is not entirely remarkable either. Another thought is that it...
4.5 yo DS and 2.5 yo DD share a bed. Ds used to sleep alone, DD used to sleep with us. But we have been putting them to bed together in a queen, for the last 6 months, and leaving them there. They LOVE it. When one wakes up in the morning, they wake the other and then go downstairs and play computer a half hour and let DH and I sleep in! Then they come up, wake us again and ask for breakfast. They get along really well, but I would say sleeping together has perhaps...
OP, I think you are doing the right thing already - limiting visits to a few hours once every 2-4 months. So you haven't completely cut her off, but your limiting visits will limit impact - tremendously. And when your kids get older, they will know the real deal - even if you say nothing to them. Because they will have a solid, loving base from you, day in and day out, they will know that this "you must love me" BS they get from MIL 4-6 times a year is completely phony.
"You know more than you think you do. Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride This may be the single most important thing for new parents, in general, to hear, imo. We're hit by a never-ending barrage of people giving us advice, and it mostly seems to boil down to "do what we say, because whatever you think, you're wrong". Parenting is hard. Parenting is even harder when you think you're doing everything wrong. ITA. Storm Bride, Live long and...
Wow, maybe I am lucky, because I have a 2.5 yo and a 4.5 yo and neither have ever done this. Maybe asked the same question 2 or 3 times tops, at which point I gave more detailed info and that was the end of it. Or maybe my memory is bad and i've just forgotten this phase.
Maybe I should answer the OP? Another in the don't worry camp. I speak american english, DH and everyone else speak danish. DS and DD both stayed home with me for the first 10 months. Their vocabulary was mostly english (DS was very limited due to ear drains. DDs was very high). They started day care and it switched to mostly danish quite quickly. English was the odd thing mommy spoke. I speak to them in english and they reply in danish. They understand everything I...
Quote: Originally Posted by kriket not really, I've heard it from teachers and just 'around' I thought it was common knowledge. I always heard Mandarin then English. I just assumed it was because English is the 'trade language' and is really just a mash of a bunch of different language. Plus we can make up words. Other languages don't make up words, like how you get those German words that are 25 letters long describing a noun instead of making up a word...
Not popular here and neither DS nor DD have ever used them. Both started with small, normal cups at about 6 months with water in them, then later with milk, watered juice... Yes, a regular cup is a mess in the beginning. But for a very short period. And since it is mostly water it was never a big mess. I'd say the first few weeks more was spilled than drank, but a month or two later it was the other way around, and by the time they were a year there was rarely any spills....