or Connect

Posts by Sijae

You really shouldn't believe everything you read.  Whenever you know the real story you realize how inaccurate and full of lies "news" really is.
I'm sorry you're struggling with this.  Try to embrace the sadness and go through a little grieving process with this.  It's ok to feel sad, and it's also ok that you are moving on.  I gave birth to all three of my children at home.  The first was in a horrible little apartment, the second in a friends basement bedroom, and the third in a house dh and I owned but have now sold.  I have my memories of all those births and not living there anymore hasn't diminished the...
  Bobbinbopbop - congrats on planning your home birth. I think a first baby is the best time to plan a homebirth!  I hope it goes well for you.  Just remember you were made to give birth :-)  There are other complications that can occur in birth no matter where you have your baby.  However, I suspect your midwife was referring to the most likely cause of transfer.  Most home birth transfers to the hospital are not due to emergency situations, they are due to long...
FTP is failure to wait in most cases and often that means failure to wait for real labor.  Inductions are so common that it seems to have slipped our minds that they fail a large portion of the time.  It's difficult to make the body give birth if the baby isn't ready.  I really hate that 'diagnosis' when used to justify a c-section because it's so rarely true. Yes, you are correct that induction is a primary cause for this issue.  The c-section rate skyrockets with...
I tend to think that having either mothers or mothers-in-law (or other family and friends) is a bad idea (especially for a first baby) unless you are very very close and completely comfortable with them and it is normal for you to share intimate details/events with them.  This birth is not about them, it's all about you and your new family.  Birth will be a new experience for you and you need to feel 100% comfortable with making whatever noises are natural for you, get...
I encourage you to feel confident in planning a UC.  You can always go to the hospital if you change your mind, why not give yourself a chance at an amazing and autonomous birth?
I have no problems with spacing out the appts. I think the schedule is very arbitrary and does have little do do with evidence or need. You would be surprised how many things are done by midwives "just because" it is the standard of practice, or it has always been done that way. As a client, I would not mind spacing out appointments, but as a midwife I would try to re-schedule for a day as soon as possible unless my client indicated that they would prefer to wait for...
If you still have the curriculum and have quit the program you should send it back as per your agreement.   It is not true at all that you don't have access to research.  In fact, a large portion of the curriculum is composed of research projects in which you are required to find a variety of valid sources, evaluate them for their worth, and compile your own research on a large number if subjects.  I know because I am more than 2/3 of the way through the main...
FYI for other people, those assignments were contained in the very beginning portion of the program before you even start the curriculum.  There are a variety of articles to read and comment on as an exercise in seeing what's out there and thinking about them critically.  The actual curriculum is heavily based in personal research of reliable sources and well respected textbooks. I've noticed that most (not all) people who didn't like the program never actually did the...
This is really sad :-(  I hate how often I hear of moms being given this kind of terrible advice.  c-sections are significantly more dangerous for both mom and baby than normal vaginal birth, planned c-sections are even worse for babies because they aren't allowed to choose the right time to be born and don't experience the hormones of labor that prepare them for life outside the womb. C-sections effect future pregnancies and in many states would severely limit her...