or Connect

Posts by aparent

Thanks for the wonderful, thoughtful replies. I need time to take it all in; there's so much in them.  
    Thanks for the great advice and cautions. We've gone back and forth about just about everything having to do with the houses and I recently recalled the feeling I had being at the 2 places for the first time. At Sky it was like I was suddenly taller and breathing more deeply. At Water I was drawn to the water and a feeling of quiet or something similar to being by the ocean settled in me.    Besides perhaps more practical considerations what...
    We're house hunting and are basically now looking at 2 places. One, which I will call "Sky." is on the side of one of the highest hills in the area. Most of the land is cleared, including around the house, revealing a whole lot of sky and views of the surrounding hills that are roughly at the same height that we would be on. The view reveals the sky above and the land around; there's no looking down at lower areas.   The other house, which I...
     I think it's significant that so many parents use the word `inconsolable;' a word to me that connotes grief or deep emotion or feeling that cannot be softened.  I'm wondering if it would help the child if the parents tried everything while also coming to the child with the calm and purpose they might gather up if they were approaching a grieving adult. I'm not sure why babies cry so sometimes.  It seems to be part of the mystery of life.   ...
     I'd suggest not critisizing him for a while but encourage him to be a white knight that defends his little brother.  Does your older have a superhero he admires? I'm sure that superhero protects the less powerful.   You might tell him how you would defend him against anyone (including the archrival of any potential superheroes and his or her sisters and brothers) bigger than him who was mean to him. You've loved him when you carried him inside...
    If you feel he's too sensitive you might respond to him with statements about your own day that describe little things that you manifest don't really bother you much at all as if to say, "I hear you, I've got tiny annoyances in my life too. No bigee." He might be responding to you to test your reactions. Maybe you could also ask the preschool teacher(s) how he does during the day.
   I might attempt to enroll the whole family in an transition to a new way of thinking and doing things that mirrors what's going on inside you as isn't the process of pregnancy beautifully organized and orderly? So perhaps you can tell the children how you wish the house and your lives to gradually become more orderly and beautiful for its own sake and also as a welcoming for the baby(s) that are coming. As some might focus on a nursery, yuor family...
    I think it's time to start on a large intentional community, the whole world actually. It's pupose being to raise the next generation. Within that context of having children and parenting being of utmost important everywhere, then local support, "villages" would form naturally.
    You mentioned she wants you to teach her to read but that you are, "now so completely reluctant to do anything that is academic or that she could get right or wrong or 'fail'" Isn't that reluctance or attitude on your part mirroring just what you do not want your daughter to adopt?     I like what the other posters said but perhaps teaching her to read would model confidence and establish a bit of it in her as she succeeds which of course she will in...
Maybe you could arrange for you and your sister to be together while they were all playing and if the older kids are being mean or something, direct your sister's attention to it. "What did he mean by that?" or something like that so that maybe she picks up on her own the things that you hear. "What are they going on about now?" Perhaps an older child might say something that you know is mean but that you could come up with a nice interpretation for and...