or Connect

Posts by hikingmommy

We all go to Dr. Horowitz in Danvers and have been very happy with him. He is pro-vacc., but he doesn't pressure his patients to vaccinate if they don't want to, and I've found him very helpful when trying to decide which vaccinations to give when. He does take BCBS and I'm pretty sure he can refer to Children's. My only gripe if that his office staff kind of stinks. If you go with him double check that they put through your referrals and that prescriptions are going to...
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. It's very helpful. I mention our religion just because I don't want to move someplace where no one else is Jewish. We expect to be well in the minority moving to northern New England and are OK with it as long as there is an organized Jewish community/temple in the area. We're... moderately crunchy? No dreads or unshaven legs, but we encourage our kids to play outside year round, homebirth, extended BF, cloth diaper, try to eat...
Thanks so much. I was looking at the library and they have a storytime Saturday mornings that we'll try to make it to. We're always up for a good cookie and love visiting farms. Sounds like a good plan.
Interesting. It makes sense that salaries would be lower, since the cost of living is. I spent a few days there about 3 years ago and thought it was pretty nice - local stores with fair trade, natural materials, etc., a good selection of restaurants, nice people, etc.   Can you tell me more about Concord? We're pretty Liberal, crunchy, and Jewish. We'll send our kids to public schools, but are of a "Waldorf-y" mindset on many things, so we'd love to have a similar...
Would you mind explaining why you say "not Brattleboro"? We don't have as many criteria, but are looking to move to the area and are considering Brattleboro and Burlington, too. I didn't realize Concord was so crunchy. I thought Keene was the crunchy place to be in NH.
We're looking to move either to VT or to the Keene area. We're looking in Keene based solely on what we're heard of the area and learned from on-line research - we've never been there. So, we'd like to take a day trip to check it out. We're about 2 hours away, so we'll probably be there from about 10am until late afternoon. We'd rather not wait until the snow melts to go, but we have a 2 year old and a 5 year old who need something to do other than walking around town...
The town is pretty working class. It has Tufts U. there, but most of the professors live elsewhere. They built new Middle and I think Elementary schools not too long ago, so the buildings are nice. I don't think it's very diverse - I think it's mostly working-class White families, many Italian. It's not a bad town - reasonable crime rate, safe for a semi-urban town, but I don't think it has much beyond standard grocery stores, pizza shops, etc. Have you looked at...
Definitely look at T routes and figure out which his job would be on. The T can be a real pain if you have to switch buses or trains multiple times. (DD really wants me to use some Smilies.) Anyway, I think Boston schools are tricky, but Cambridge's are, too. They're both big cities. From what I understand of the schools, the quality depends a lot on which one you get in to. There are charter schools, and lot of the public schools have interesting programs that your...
I think a little more information would be helpful. What do you want? Access to the T? A multi-cultural neighborhood? High test scores in the schools? A house with a yard? An apartment near lots of restaurants? There are a ton of different types of towns and neighborhoods around Charlestown. It's impossible to make recommendations without knowing more about you.
I'm in MA, but I interviewed the midwives there. I thought they seemed OK, but I didn't feel like I clicked with them. Also, I was having a VBAC and wasn't comfortable with the restrictions NH puts on VBACs. They seemed pretty up-front about everything in the interview, so it's definitely worth meeting with them. I have an acquaintance in MA who had an HBAC with them and loved them. You might want to post on the MA board, too.