or Connect

Posts by mom2e

There has been great debate over whether to use whole language or phonics in teaching children how to read. Right now it seems that phonics is the way to go. I think that some kids learn better using the whole language approach, while others learn better using phonics. Your child obviously favor whole language. I think that educators lean towards phonics because that is what helps most kids, but that in no way means that it is the best approach for all children. I...
The reason I say this about the snack tray is that it is a really FAST way to provide healthy food. I, too, just don't have the time or energy to cook elaborate healthy meals!
I just made a post about snack trays that I make for my daughter (who is very picky). You might want to try that with your child. I take a muffin tin and fill it with super healthy snacks (tofu, avocado, walnuts, almonds, cheese, fruit, veggies, sometimes small pieces of meat, whole grain stuff, pasta, granola, dips, etc). I leave it out for about 30 minutes when I know my daughter is hungry for a snack. She just kind of grazes and is actually more willing to try new...
There was a thread a few weeks ago about snack trays and what to put in them. I've been making a tray for dd every day and she loves it! I had a problem at first keeping the cold stuff cold (cheese or whatever). What I do is I take two muffin tins that are the same size. In one, I pour about a half inch of water in two of the compartments (or however many I plan to fill with food that must be kept cold). I freeze it overnight. In the morning, I take it out and put...
I was not able to find any specific information on this. I would guess that if your toddler is not getting enough (calories), that he would start showing more interest in solid food. A healthy child will regulate himself that way. I would just make sure that the solids he does eat are "power packed", such as avocado, nuts, some meat (if you eat meat), cheese, and whole grains.
I place more credibility in the New England Journal of Medicine than I do in www.alternative-doctor.com.
"A population-based study of measles, mumps and rubella vaccination and autism Madsen et al, published in The New England Journal of Medicine Vol 347, Number 19, 7 November 2002." Here is the summary: A large, peer-reviewed study from Denmark, undertaken by independent researchers and published today in the internationally respected New England Journal of Medicine, adds to the increasing body of research from around the world which has found no link between...
I am sorry to hear about your child's eczema. That can be a very frustrating condition to deal with. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations on how to deal with that condition, but you might be able to find help on the Health and Healing board here. You also have my sympathy about the lack of sleep! My daugther was the same way from 11 weeks until over a year (up every 1 to 2 hours). I think it is common for breastfed babies to want to nurse frequently...
If the OP is trying to do all of her research and get both points of view, it will be helpful. Just because you don't like what the CDC says doesn't mean it is not a credible source of information.
Most of the people who post on this board are against vaccination. In my opinion, they rely on inaccurate information in making their decision. It is information that appeals to those who want to live a more "natural" lifestlye, but it is inaccurate and dangerous. My advice would be to do your research (here and elsewhere), and consider the source of each piece of information you find. I evaluated the research and made the decision to vaccinate my child. I don't...