or Connect

Posts by FreeRangeMama

Looks like we are expecting baby #5 in early June.  We were done with the baby phase and quite happy with our bigger kids.  We were being very, very cautious while we waited on DH to get the vasectomy.  Turns out life has other plans for us.  I was very apprehensive for the first few weeks, but am starting to feel a little excitement mixed in now.  Hard to feel too joyous though as I have been non-stop nauseous and completely exhausted!  This baby will be #5.  My others...
Uh, no I didn't *really* want pity.  Mostly just information and maybe a little understanding.   I posted here because I remember this board when it first started and the awesome amount of support it was.  But things change and MDC is no different.  I think I was just taken aback by the responses I got because they were not at all what I expected based previous experiences.   Thanks for the links upthread.  I originally posted on dx day, I have had time to process...
Thanks for your reply.  With two other children with major anxiety issues you would think I would be a pro, but apparently not  :)   I have used worry stones with much success with my eldest, but due to the nature of the sporting event he will not have pockets!  We have been talking nightly about strategies to help him feel better.  I have discussed it with his coach who will work on keeping him calm and focused.  He is also trying to help ds feel pride in all he has...
I need some ideas to help my 8 yo ds overcome his fear of being in front of an audience.  He is in a competitive sport and they are having a "mock meet" in a few weeks to prepare for the upcoming competition season.  He LOVES his sport and he was very excited to compete this year.  He has worked very hard and is excited about his progress.  He isn't worried about how well he will do from a judging standpoint, but he is terrified of the spectators.  There are always...
Not your kid, not your business to tell them how to approach this.  They either know and aren't ready to accept the fact their kid is struggling or they don't know and they aren't going to listen to your opinion anyway.  Your best option is to be a good influence in the child's life.  Model good speech to him.  Model gentle parenting to the family.  Use statements like, "when my child was doing something similar someone recommended I try xyz and it worked pretty well." ...
My 6 yo dd was dx'd with Aspergers AND ADHD today.  We really expected the ASD, but the ADHD took me by surprise.  I had wondered, even expected it could be either one, but getting the dx for BOTH kind of surprised me for some reason.  I have a 10 yo with ASD so I feel pretty confident in how to approach that one and really love our current therapy team, but have little/no knowledge on ADHD.  Any helpful links or book suggestions on ADHD (specifically in girls maybe?)...
I had 4 in 6 years.  The biggest age gap is 2y5m.  The smallest is 19mo.  They are now 4, 6, 8, and 10.  I really love it, having them so close means that they can play in different configurations all day long.  If two are driving each other crazy they can swap and play with the other siblings.  Someone is rarely left out as often happened when there were only 3 (or the youngest was a baby).  It is easier to plan vacations and family activities as they are close enough...
I hated the C25K.  I tried it for a while both on the treadmill and outside.  Hated it.  Instead I went to MapMyRun and found a great route, then I found some great music for my iPod and run went for it.  Turns out I am running 8K three times a week.  After the third week I found I could run it faster and I didn't feel as tired at the end.  Slower paced songs made me go slower and faster ones picked up my pace.  It has gotten comfortable to do and I feel antsy if I may...