or Connect

Posts by FreeRangeMama

But this is a message board.  We come here to swap ideas about parenting.  And we certainly don't pay money to people for their posts.  If we did it would be a valid comparison.  He is writing books and blogs.  Poising himself as an "expert" whose advice we should follow.  Is he a child development expert of some sort?  No, he is an economics professor.  Maybe his has some good ideas, but I take them with the same grain of salt that I do with posts on MDC.     
Seriously?  An economics professor is now a parenting expert because he had a couple of kids and read a couple of studies (really, how many identical twins have been raised separately then studied?).  Glad he is happy with his choices in life, but to make any sweeping statements based on that very limited experience is kind of silly.  How is he even giving parenting advice?   Parenting in a way that teaches kids they are inherently valued and loved unconditionally...
I just wanted to add that we moved from one house to another in the same city without all the other factors and it was just really, really hard on my youngest 2 children (3 and 5).  They didn't sleep well for 5 months, they needed (and still need) lots of reassurance.  I think moving is a huge stress for children and it takes a lot of time, patience, and more time to get through it.  I think keeping that in mind helped me not get frustrated on those nights they wouldn't...
I have two Radians, both forward facing.  My dds buckle themselves so they loosen them to buckle, then I have to re-tighten.  The short, hard pulls work great.  I haven't had a problem at all with them.  They are much, much easier than any of the other (inferior) carseats we have had our children in previously.
When my ds2 was around 2 he grew quite an attachment to my hammer.  He carried it everywhere.  He even slept with it at night.  Yup, a hammer.  Don't know what the appeal was, but he sure loved it.  He eventually outgrew that and it was his one and only real "lovie".  He has never been a stuffie sort of kid.
I would think it could just be that there are lots of big changes/stresses going on right now.  A new child, a move, etc.  Perhaps adding one more thing feels like too much right now.  Give it a little time and I am sure he will feel better about it.  Once he has a chance to get used to the idea and plan for it he may become excited too! 
I am dealing with my 4th 3.5 yo.  Fun times!  Adding a sibling to the family is a HUGE adjustment.  Plus, at this age they start to really get an idea of how big the outside world is.  It is a tough place to be for such a small person.   Some of the things I would suggest:   -start to think of his behaviour as communication.  He is feeling disoriented and is trying to let you know (or at least get those yucky feelings OUT).  Not appropriately, but that is what he...
I am planning on buying my ds a weighted blanket.  I just don't know what weight to buy.  He currently sleeps with 5 heavy blankets for the pressure he needs to sleep (he was sleeping with more, but he overheats at night so I sneaked a few out).  I don't what to spend the money on a blanket that is not heavy enough or is way too heavy.  I need to figure it out before the weather starts to warm up as he can't sleep without the weight and he can't use all those blankets in...
I have a nearly 10 year old with ASD and severe anxiety issues.  He has struggled with anxiety since birth probably, but we really noticed the extent of it when he developed a fear of gravity as explained in a kid's science book (what goes up must come down) when he was 2.5yo.  We couldn't even leave the house most days, he was terrified that the ceiling fans, lights, or other hanging fixtures in stores would come crashing down at any moment.  From there he developed a...
My ds is nearly 10 and what works for us is a lot of preplanning and a lot of visuals of where we are going and what we are doing.  When we travel I spend the months leading up to our vacation showing him pictures of the places we are going so he knows what to expect, how it will look, and what we can do once we get there.  I try to include things he will love during the trip (he loves old fashioned things, so we are going to a museum of vintage cars when we go out of...