or Connect

Posts by FreeRangeMama

I just LOVE our family closet!!! Each person has a minimal amount of clothes. We just moved our laundry machine to the family closet and put in a new closet organizer. Dh, ds1, and I hang our stuff on the top rack. Ds2, and both dds hang stuff on the bottom. Above each closet bar is a shelf for folded pants. I also put a 15" wide shelf in the closet. There are 6 shelves so we each get a shelf equipped with a basket for socks, underwear, and pajamas. Again we own a...
I always say please and thank you and almost always say your welcome. A couple of words that make life so much friendlier. My kids have always said it too, they have had it modeled for them and to them so I think they just think that is how people talk. They have gone through stages where they were just generally shy or uncertain in public though, in those cases I just speak for them. I was painfully shy as a child and hated being put on the spot so I don't want to do...
I think buying the bowl is a lovely idea as well. Why not fill our homes with things we love, things that are beautiful, and things that bring us joy. Better to be surrounded by a few things that we love than lots of things we don't. I don't see why we should be criticizing one another, we are all in different places on the same journey!
I have found that you don't need more room to organize stuff, you need LESS STUFF. We are a family of 6 in <1000sqft. I don't feel as though our house is too small (anymore), we actually have a lot of space now that we have rid ourselves of things we don't really need. The areas I had problems were storage for books, clothes, linens, and kitchen appliances. I would spend hours searching blogs and Ikea for ideas. I even went out and bought a bunch of great shelving...
I get where you are coming from zoebird. We didn't emigrate, but we redid our hardwood floors and had to move out all our furniture several years ago. We actually just sold most of it and freecycled the rest. It was rather liberating to live without furniture for a while. We were planning a move at that time (we didn't do it though) so I got rid of lots of our other belongings as well. I really cherished the emptiness while we had it. We chose to not replace things...
Wow, this thread has given me a sense of gratitude for my neighbours. Maybe I am naive, but I really can't believe people would shoot a family's pet. That would never happen around here. I have had neighbourhood cats and dogs in my yard. I would probably just pet the cat or help the dog find it's way home. Sometimes they are annoying, but I am a big girl and I can take it. That is part of living in a community. I certainly wouldn't be cruel to the animal for being...
If cats are allowed outside the you WILL have cats in your neighbourhood. They may get into your yard, sit on your porch, and even sit on the fence and make your dog bark. If you don't like it then petition for a cat bylaw of some sort. If cats are allowed outside they will behave like cats. If you have an animal that is incompatible with that you probably should take the proper precautions to keep your animals safe. The problem isn't with the OP, she isn't...
The cool water doesn't go INTO the machine, it goes into a separate compartment to condense the water. Quote: How does it work? All of our combos feature condensing, ventless dryers that require no ductwork or outside venting. Condensing dryers in combination machines use cool water condensers to remove the moisture from the air in the drum. The warm, moist air leaving the drum is circulated through a plastic chamber, where it contacts a mist of cool water....
It doesn't actually use steam to dry, but it does have a steam cycle for drying to get wrinkles out. It uses condensation drying so it can be ventless. It dries the clothes with heat and the condensation is collected and drained periodically. It takes a long time because it uses only the 110V (regular dryers use 220). Its drying capacity is only half of what it's washing capacity is, if you overfill it that will add to your dry time. We wash frequently as I got rid of...
I have a nearly-9 year old that is the same way. He holds on to things that would boggle the mind. A scrap of cardboard with Chinese characters on it, a balloon from a birthday party a year ago (still partially inflated), a broken toy that he loved when he was 2. Realistically, reasoning with a child of this age on an issue this complex won't accomplish much. They don't know why it is important, but it makes them feel good/safe/complete/in control/etc. for some...