or Connect

Posts by FreeRangeMama

We've read it twice with my boys when they were 4 and 2. We would never censor death, it is a pretty integral part of life after all. The nature of impermanence and all that. They loved the book. We saw the old cartoon movie over the holidays and that was very scary for my (now) 5 year old. Not the death as much as the pig being chased with a gun. He is very sensitive to visual images, but in his imagination he can recreate the story any way he wishes. That is why...
Wow, what an unexpected houseful! We are sick with colds here too. Ds2 is finally almost over it, dd, dh, and I are still a bit congested, and ds1 is just beginning the cough-a-thon (great for an asthmatic). I am feeling great at 11 weeks. I totally feel calm and relaxed about the whole pg and often forget about even being pg....until I mash my HUGE belly into something Seriously, I am huge. My SIL is 24 weeks (or more) and I am bigger than her. Is belly...
I've been feeling this one for a few weeks now! Started just around 9 weeks, the earliest yet (the other ones were at 12 weeks, 22 weeks, and 11 weeks?). Exciting!!
Using one's imagination is always more educational than an electronic gadget! Return it and get some wooden blocks or some really great art supplies! JMO :
Quote: FRM, other than an elimination diet (which we've already done SO many times.....) or a blood test (which came back negative), is there a way to tell what he's allergic to? We KNOW he's allergic to soy and cow's milk due to the bleeding, scarring diaper rash he gets whenever he accidentally ingests it. I don't care what the damn blood test says, in my world, reaction trumps test, kwim? (sorry mini vent there) I KNOW he's probably allergic to much more. He...
I am so sorry you are going through this. Sleep deprivation is a special kind of hell. It robs you of your life. Seriously. My ds1 (the one with ASD) didn't sleep for the first 3+ years. He slept maybe 5 hours (of broken sleep, I would have to nurse him back down 4 times in that 5 hours). For my own sanity I didn't go to bed with him (at 7pm) so I was getting maybe 3 hours a night. For 3 years. He woke up like clockwork at 1am and generally didn't go back to...
A bored child with too much energy is just ASKING for trouble At least for my boys (and my girl these days too, the wild toddler she is). I encourage the running, jumping, and physical play. Many days are just too cold for them to be out for long this time of year and they have a whole lot of energy. A WHOLE LOT!!! If I send them to the bedroom for a bed jumping/diving extravaganza they all come back tired and happy and ready for some quiet activity or imaginary...
I STILL wouldn't worry. Most spiders are not harmful and many of them have "fiddlebacks". The brow recluse has the violin marking on the back of its head and it has 6 eyes (not 8 like most spiders). Plus, they are only found in the south central region of the US. http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseu...nrecluse.html# Your spider was likely harmless, though if you are really concerned you could bring it in for proper...
My ds is dx'd as high functioning ASD (likely aspergers, but labeled this way as he is better funded I think). I had my heart set on homeschooling and I really resisted putting him in school, but after many, many months I finally realized that keeping him home was going to be for MY benefit, he clearly needed to be in school among his peers to really learn on a daily basis how to interact with them. I absolutely HATE the public school system (sorry, I don't mean to...