or Connect

Posts by olive&pimiento

I have orientation tomorrow and I start class next week. Finally it's here and I am both excited and nervous!
I think it would be nice to have both. A general home birth section where active debate could take place and then a private forum for support only.  I really like the fact that there is no more censorship in the home birth area.  I was a CPM student and pregnant when I first started coming here.  I saw many emergencies as  student and really felt that I needed a place to put these experiences into context.  Unfortunately, every time a thread was posted highlighting a...
Hi Amylzim, I'm sorry to hear you have gone through this not only once but twice!  It only happened during my first birth.  She was 9#4oz and I pushed for many hours.  The following two were much smaller, 6#5oz and 7#, and I pushed them out easily.  I still had some tightening up to do postpartum though and I continued with chiro care until about 6 months after.  I still need to go get adjusted if I do something silly like wear high heels to a wedding and dance all night,...
Yes, I for one would.  In order for home birth to remain an option for American women we need to address the deficiencies of the education programs.  In order to do that we need to know what is working and what isn't.  And I don't think it has to be a CNM degree specifically.  In my state, NJ, we have the option of the CM, a direct entry program developed by the ACNM that allows a college graduate to get a masters in midwifery after bridging the gap in some health...
I am curious about what others are thinking about the recent home birth studies and current practices in home birth midwifery.  While all studies have their flaws, there is a lot of good information that can give us ideas about how to better home birth care in America.  I personally feel that we need more well trained midwives in all settings.  I think that women who are at increased risk would be much more likely to use resources available in hospital settings if they...
I completely agree. I think someone should start a spinoff thread about looking at the recent studies and seeing what we can do to improve home birth outcomes.  I have wanted to start one for a week and just haven't had the chance.  Maybe someone can beat me to it :)
Hi Middlemamma, It is true that many midwives do not routinely require u/s.  Despite the reassuring feeling some of us get seeing that all looks okay at a 20 wk scan (I felt this way with my last pregnancy), the evidence does not seem to show that is makes a difference in outcomes for low risk women. Here are some...
Congratulations on finishing your first semester!! 
I'm so happy for you Anablis!
Congrats on starting your program goodygumdrops!  Yikes, 17 chapters is a lot, but I'm sure doable. You will have to give us pointers on organizing time as you go, since I don't start until spring and could use some help in this dept.  Good luck in your program!