or Connect

Posts by wimbini

I wanted to go back to work when my baby turned three months old. I just laugh at that idea now! Luckily, my husband was very supportive of my decision not to return to work as a lawyer and to become a SAHM instead. We now share one car and have made numerous financial sacrifices to make this happen. We haven't moved yet, but it's on our list. I've gone through almost all of my savings. I still crave material things all the time, especially little Biscotti and Gymboree...
I had a lot of amniotic fluid in my last pregnancy, so they screened me for everything, and the baby and I were fine. But she surprized everyone when she was born weighing ELEVEN pounds! No, I did not have gestational diabetes, but we have big babies in dh and my families. She wasn't even the biggest! There are some twelve pounders in dh's family tree!
I agree that there is a huge benefit to parent and infant with young baby entertainers for infant/toddlers or babysitters for school age children. I'm eagerly looking forward to a fourteen year old girl (my best friend's daughter) playing with my dd for two hours on Monday for $6 an hour. If it works out, I hope to hire her more often so that I can do some long overdue babyproofing. I like Momof4's generous babysitter staffing. If I had more parents like her when...
Darshani, I'm so sorry you had to go through such an awful bf'ing experience. I had a horrible LC at the hospital right after giving birth... so I feel for you. Fortunately, I finally hooked up with some good ones and am still able to bf. I just know it was sad for you have to go through that. Regarding Gavin de Becker's books, they are fantastic. The Gift of Fear is better in general, but Protecting the Gift has more information specific to protecting children. I...
I do a sort of triage with my risk assessments. Safety comes first. And I try to make my decision based on Dr. Sears basic principles. It often makes the decision clear. However, with some decisions, like vaccinations, there are two conflicting opinions on which is safest and the decision is much more difficult. Regarding the car issue specifically: I had not considered the possibility of CPS taking kids away from their parents because the kids were left in a...
It sounds exhausting. And the friend sounds disgusting, letting his babies run around while he drinks and plays video games. I have never been to al-anon, so I don't know if it is helpful or not, but my mother's family went because my maternal grandmother was an alcoholic. They found it very helpful. Good luck. There is something about your post which makes me want to hug you and kick his butt.
I used to babysit all through junior high, high school, and college. I stopped at grad school. I am the oldest girl in a family of seven children. So I had lots of business, lots of experience. I had so many baby sitting jobs that I was able to be incredibly picky and turn down lots of jobs. Years later when I had my own baby I was horrified that parents had left their precious infants (and, in some cases, I mean babies only a few weeks old) with someone as...
I know this is tough to hear, but if he is getting drunk every weekend, he has an alcohol problem. Also, and this is really horrible to think about, but are you sure he's behaving himself when he is at the friend's house? If so, why doesn't he take you with him? I would trust your instincts. This is not your pregnancy hormones, except that they are making you realize what you can and cannot tolerate in your nest. I think you sound wonderful and brave. He does not...
I'll admit up front that I do believe that 100% SAHM is best (I think someone called it a "prejudice" but I think of it as an informed opinion), so I am biased. Your sweet little baby is still a baby. Let me tell you about my father... this is a true story! My father was a clingy momma's boy until he started school. Then he became incredibly gregarious. He still lived with his momma until he married at the age of 35, and his momma drove my mother crazy. The...
And I was heartbroken and furious... DH, mama's boy, said nothing. Gee, why don't I enjoy spending time with her?