or Connect

Posts by XanaduMama

Here's ds (aged 6mo, chunky little monkey!) in our New Native pouch sling. As you can see, even the small (the smallest one they make) was too big for me (the bottom should hit at your hip), but it was definitely easy to throw in a bag or pocket, very "poppable" (easy to get him in and out), and cool for the NC summer (since there's fabric between you and sweaty baby). The Kangaroo Korner pouch slings are adjustable (they have several rows of snaps), which might make...
We're height twins! I'm also 5'2 and dh is 6'. My babies were 7lb13 and 7lb12 respectively, but ds (#1) quickly became enormous: 99th percentile for height and weight for most of his first year (he's 6 now and still very tall). He outgrew the bucket seat by about 6mo (might have been earlier, I don't remember exactly). So you never know when you might produce a genetic freak dd, on the other hand, has always been quite small (though always slightly above average for...
Yeah, some seats do have a recline feature once they're installed, for naps etc. Never heard of seats with adjustable recline to help you get a good install! Sounds intriguing... And @sjdragonfly, we had a Honda Civic coupe (2-door) when ds was born. We'd bought it new and paid it off by then, but by the time he was 6w old or so we'd traded it in for a (used) CRV: the 2-door thing was just too much of a PITA with getting a baby in and out of the car.
We've been in Portland for almost 2 years now and we would not live anywhere else. It's an amazing, wonderful place to live--we really love it!     Feel free to PM me if you like. We live in Southeast Portland and love that too--very crunchy, lots of great neighborhoods, not super pricey compared to some areas (depending, obviously, on how close in--close to the river/city--you are: the further out, the cheaper). We rent a 3-br house with a big finished basement...
ds was 27mo when dd was born at home. He was totally fine with the whole thing! dh and my mom traded off hanging out with him and spending time with me (I didn't/don't need a lot of direct "support" during labor, so personally I would have been fine without dh as necessary). We'd watched some birth videos beforehand and talked about the noises mummy might make. He seemed to find it completely normal and was actually very cute about the whole thing. I think I felt much...
Me too--chronically low BP and I sometimes get that tunnel-vision thing when I'm NOT pregnant. It's normal to have dizzy spells, as PP said, as your blood volume changes and your system adjusts. How do you know it wasn't a BP thing? All your symptoms point to low BP; the question is: what caused it? I'd say just focus on drinking plenty of water, upping your sodium (I crave salt all the time, myself), and taking it easy. I wouldn't rush off to the doctor, if it were me,...
We used a convertible from the beginning with dd, and it was fine. We had (and she still has, actually) a Radian65, which has been fantastic--I'm looking to get another Radian, in fact. I've heard that the new Britaxes have an even shorter shell than they used to, which means that a tall kid is more likely to outgrow it by height before you reach the weight limit (this happened to us, in a different seat, with ds). Are you, sjdragonfly, the one who's quite tall with a...
You can see the small version of this in my profile pic, but here's me wearing dd in the Kozy... I think she's about 3mo here.  
One thing I've realized after having 2 kids is that the things that claim to go from birth to toddlerhood or beyond (car seats, diapers, seats etc) are usually not good for either newborns or older kids. There are some things that just inevitably have to be different for tiny babies and for bigger kids. Baby carriers are one of these things. I love the versatility of my mei tai (ditto the ergo), though it takes some improvisation for newborns, but I think it's reasonable...
I really love my mei tai (I have a Kozy)--I prefer the two-shoulder carry and upright positioning, and I love that I can BF while wearing baby and (sometimes at the same time) chase smaller kids or whatever. I never liked the wraps I tried--the stretchy ones were quickly unsupportive, it was too much fabric and just annoying to me, though I know lots of people love them. I also love my Ergo once they're bigger (6+ mo), esp for back carries. I had, and liked for a while, a...