or Connect

Posts by XanaduMama

Oh man--that sounds so amazing (@MaerynPearl)!! I share sjdragonfly's envy of all of y'all: suddenly feeling the house-buying urge so strongly right now (nesting?). A friend of mine who lives in our neighborhood just announced that they're moving to MA, so now I'm obsessed with wanting their house, even though it's way out of our price range (not to mention the fact that we have no down payment at all) We make decent money between the two of us, but we have a ton of debt...
Wow, congrats on your PhD!! That's awesome. I got mine in 2008; was on the TT at U of Mississippi for two years before we left to come here to Portland (where I'm on the TT at Portland State). Hated MS; love, LOVE it here :) I do postcolonial literature and film; ecocriticism; theory... my research is on anticonsumerism and the politics & ethics of sustainability (not that I ever have time to get any actual research or writing done). dh is also an English prof in the...
No advice about cleaning (though I know hydrogen peroxide gets blood out of furniture), but I guess my most practical advice would be to invest in a package of Depends and start wearing them when you get close to your EDD! My water has broken to start both labors (though fortunately in the middle of the night), and with #2 I loved the Depends during labor (before I got in the pool) and for the immediate postpartum period as well. Maybe putting a thick wool blanket or...
You can read more about the Gate Control Theory of Pain here. The short version is that your body can only really focus on one source of pain/discomfort at once, so applying stimulus like ice packs, hot pads, hairbrushes, TENS machines etc somehow "distract" the nervous system from the pain of labor. I think those of us who have had natural births understand this intuitively. I was wondering whether something similar might help the OP distract herself from the sensory...
Totally OT, but what kind of professor are you? I'm an English prof in my second year at an urban public university here. Would love to chat about academia and motherhood sometime!
I feel like the main potential "problem" might be that you could find her presence in the pool too distracting/annoying, especially late in labor. Personally, I wouldn't even want my dh in there with me! But obviously that's your call, and you may not know ahead of time how you'll feel, so perhaps work on some contingency plans about how to communicate to her (or her "helper") that mama needs to be alone, if that's how you're feeling in the moment. You should definitely...
Such cute pics, Altair! Here's me at 20w...hard to believe we're all halfway already, gulp!    
I really sympathize with this, because although I'm one of those women who actually gets more, um, horny during pregnancy, when I'm not pregnant my drive is very low and I really identify with many of your comments here. I'm definitely not depressed... more just...not interested. I usually enjoy it when it happens, but am often reluctant beforehand and almost never initiate it. It was a big issue between us for a long time, though for the most part dh has learned to deal...
I passionately believe this to be true. And while I respect everyone's individual comfort level, I truly feel that it's also a responsibility to model public BFing and thereby to help normalize it. To me, nursing under a cover as though you've got something to hide just reinforces the idea that BFing is shameful and not for public consumption :(   While some folks have raised the distractible nurser issue, this really only arises much later, when baby is older and less...
Yes, orgasms definitely trigger BH as well. You'll likely also feel them more strongly if you're BFing, and sometimes if you overdo things and (like I said) aren't sufficiently hydrated.   As for the snoogle, I'm a HUGE fan! What a lifesaver. I got mine back in 2005 when they were much cheaper than I think they are now, but it was totally worth it. I haven't tried any of the others, but everyone I know who's had a snoogle just raves about it :)