or Connect

Posts by mama_tigress

Quote: Originally Posted by WednesdayO I don't think you are ridiculous at all. I have similar fears for my 5 year old daughter, but I really love Emerson Waldorf School. Right now, we can't afford K there, so she's involved in Waldorf-inspired home-based programs. I try to visit the Waldorf school for every public event that I can, and I know a family who made a big change from public school recently to send their 1st grader there. The mom is a parenting...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee I believe this kind of talk is testing behavior at this age, to see if your love is unconditional even in the face of their challenging behavior, so I always answer with, "That's too bad, but I still love you" (or like you, or want to be with you, or whatever.) I don't think it's done at the age of 3.5 with the intention of disrespect, so I wouldn't approach it from that angle. I try not to assume the worst possible...
Well, 2 out of my 3 are like what you are describing, and I've been reassured time and again that it is totally normal. But it often *does* feel like young children (in my experience usually boys) are small sociopaths, doesn't it? It's really just the way a lot of kids are. They are trying to understand a very complex world that they are entirely new to, and it's tough to learn all the rules. Also, it's hard to be a kid and have other people control so much of your life....
Okay, he will be 4 this month but he's not yet. And sorry, this is long. If my older son is the least bit tired or hungry, he is completely impossible to be around. It's difficult because he also fights sleep (of course). I can deal with the general tantrums and whining, and even the physical violence towards objects (knocking down chairs, etc.), but he is also extremely violent towards his younger brothers, who are 2. The truth is, he hurts them when he's not in one of...
I think it just sounds completely and totally normal, and I wouldn't bother to do anything about it. Once in a while if my son is really going on about it I will respond by saying, "Gosh, I'm sorry you are feeling so much anger towards me right now." But I really usually don't even engage him when he's like that. As far as your friend, not to be rude but I actually think it's kind of disrespectful to a child to expect him to be able to have respect for you when he is...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes I was an AP and GD Nanny. I learned by watching my boss for about three days before she returned to work. Just show her if possible, or spend some time talking about it with her. Yes, whoever we choose will definitely be starting a few weeks before I start school so she can spend time with us and I can gradually get the kids used to being with her while I'm not there. I appreciate seeing that...
Coming to this late, but I wanted to add that it might be more effective in the long-term to use one word, like "Danger!", rather than yell "NO!" or use a long explanation like in one of the previous replies. When you say no, a child doesn't know exactly what you are talking about. A long explanation is often above their comprehension and doesn't deal with the immediacy of a perceived threat to your kid. But even young children can understand the word "danger," and if said...
Thanks Aliyahsmommy! Is there any book in particular that you would have found helpful?
Thanks for all of the advice! I don't think there are any Waldorf teacher training schools near where I live, but I might contact the closest one anyway. And thanks for that link to the job postings site. I found out today (would have known earlier but people are traveling since it's summer) that there is an ongoing attempt to open a Waldorf kindergarten start-up here, hopefully starting this fall. I am very hopeful that this will work out (and have offered my...
Yeah, my nurser has no interest in twiddling! In fact, he's actually generally very glad to nurse for a set period of time and then stop; if I start to count to 5 when I'm feeling done, he usually stops himself before I get to 3, and he often just spontaneously says he is done and covers me back up. My prob is that I can't just wear a tight bra because the one still needs access. I'm not sure, though, I think my twiddler is having other things going on anyway. They...