or Connect

Posts by mamagrigsby

We currently live in Kansas City, MO, but my husband is being offered to help start a company in Amarillo. I have been doing some research (even looking through posts here on MDC) and, to be honest, I'm not finding much. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to find like-minded friends there. I enjoy going to small locally owned restaurants and coffee shops. We are definitely foodies. I need to be able to shop for organic and local food. Love farmer's markets. I enjoy the...
Childcare isn't an issue. My daughter does to a private school. School will be closer (she goes 3 days a week, home 2 days) to the apartment, but church and our weekly bible study is a few blocks from our duplex. Kind of evens out so not really an issue. We already have two cars since one is provided from my husband's job.  
Yes, I thought about this, and I have begun to get rid of a lot of stuff. We even sold our sectional and got a smaller couch. But the one thing I'm having a hard time letting go of is my dining room set. It won't fit in the apartment. It's a 7ft table with 4 chairs and a bench and a matching hutch. We purchased it 3 years ago from World Market. It was expensive and I don't want to have to replace it in a couple of years. I'm sure we would be lucky to get half of what we...
My husband and I decided a couple of months that we really want to tackle our debt at a faster pace and get more serious about it. We both decided that we should find a cheaper place to live. We moved into our duplex last year and we both LOVE it. It's beautifully remodeled with everything I like in a home, in an urban neighborhood that we love, we are blocks from close friends and church family, and it's close to most everything we do. BUT...it's expensive. We pay...
Ladies, I'm sorry if my child support statement rubbed some of you the wrong way. My intention was to come on here and get advice about which house to move into and which was the smarter decision. This is totally going in a direction that could get "tense" and I don't want to go there.   Again, thanks for all your comments. I really do take it all into consideration in making decisions and find them very helpful.
Zebra15...I realize that supporting a child does not "end" when the $500 a month stops being paid. Thank you, but I don't think that was necessary for you to throw that in. We support my husband's daughter above and beyond the monthly payment, both monetary and emotionally and in any other way you support your child.  I have a 20 year old son, so I think I know how it works!!! And we won't stop "supporting" her or any of our other children when they turns 18. We just...
Just got off the phone with my friend with more details of the house. They have their house on the market but can't sell it so have decided to rent it out, but they are still keeping it on the market. They said something about still trying to sell it while we are in the house and that is where she lost me. I didn't really understand what the heck she was talking about, but she said something about it would just be new owners if they sold and we would work something out...
Satori, actually if we did that formula than we could afford the duplex. We bring home almost 3 times the cost of the rent, but we have a $350/mo car payment and a $500/mo child support payment on top of the other bills. The good thing is that the child support payments will be done in 9 months.
After talking to my friend about her house, she talked to her husband and the rent will be $950, not $900. The two utilities we would have to pay in this house that we wouldn't in the duplex is water and gas. So that would basically raise the rent to $1,125. So now we are talking a different of $375 between the two places. Not sure it's worth it. The cheaper house is 20 minutes away from everything we do and it is not near as big and updated. The duplex was just updated...
We had to put our house on the market because we got behind on our payments and could no longer afford it due to my husband's overtime hours being cut. We have a buyer but it's a short sale so we have no money coming back to us. Closing date is at the end of February. We are going back to renting. We found a very nice duplex in the area we want to be in which is very close to our current house. It's expensive ($1,500/mo.), but we went for it because it will be cheaper...