or Connect

Posts by sarah0404

Hi! I'm looking for some ideas to help my 9 year old (10 this summer) with her writing/spelling. I think the main problem is that she just doesn't have enough practice. We read a lot but I don't have her write things up, and I don't assign her any sort of schooly assignments like "Write about what you did at the weekend." It seems a bit pointless, I know what she did at the weekend - I was there! She'd left a note for my dad and my brother the other day that said...
I totally fell off the ww wagon! I have been so bad the last couple of days. After feeling so upbeat and inspired too! I've just been through my weight watchers cookbook and planned out a weeks menu. I think I really need to do that, because when I don't have anything in mind for dinner I tend make make poor food choices. Someone posted this blog on the UK weight watchers forum last week - you might have already seen it: http://msbitchcakes.blogspot.com/ The author...
For dinner tonight I had 2 eggs (scrambled) and 2 english muffins. I *should* have only had one with a large side salad, because it was 8 points altogether, and now I have no points left for the rest of the evening. My first week on ww I lost 4lbs, second week 2lbs and last week I put on 2.5lbs!!! Which was extremely unfair as I had worked out 3 times that week and gone on a long walk. So far this week I have managed to get 4.5 activity points. I am a person who...
Hi, I am a ww newbie! I thought I'd join you all here. I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. (about 20lbs. I've lost 6lbs of that already!) My weight has been slowly creeping up - because of evening bingeing on junky foods and my addiction to cheese and lack of exercise. But I want to do something about it now before it gets too bad and overwhelming, so I decided to join ww online. I have a question about the extra breastfeeding points. Would you add them...
Thanks for bumping this thread up! I'm very new to this. I just got The Well Trained Mind book this Christmas (though I have had it on my wish list at amazon for about 5 years!) My children are 9, nearly 8, 5 and 2. We have tried Waldorf homeschooling and unschooling, but they didn't seem to work very well for us. Last year we followed a classic-ish approach. I'm not sure TWTM is quite the right approach for my boys. My almost 8 year old is still not reading and...
The Usbourne Encyclopedia of World History. I picked it up for £2 second hand! My children absolutely love the book and have spent a lot of time looking through it. (even my 2yr old likes looking at the pictures) It is one of those internet linked books. I never know where to look for interesting stuff online! The book has shown us a lot of interesting websites. Another one of our favourite things we found in a box in my parents attic. It is a map of Scotland...
http://www.thenakedscientists.com They have lots of kitchen experiments you can try.
Hi!!!! I live about 10 miles away from Stirling, near Falkirk. I have 4 children (a girl age 9 and 3 boys age 7, 5 and 2) We are home educating, and have a little group that meets up in Hallglen, just outside Falkirk. I'm not sure if there is much happening home ed wise in Stirling though. There are larger groups that meet in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I'd bring as much fabric as you can with you! I buy most of my fabrics from US co-ops. In Stirling you have...
Hi! Have you seen the Trimsies pattern? I haven't used it myself, but it looks very trim. You can use it to make fitteds, pockets and AIOs. It costs $8. Its a PDF pattern too, so you can get it right away. http://www.trimsies.com/index.shtml There is also the HHS pattern, which is very trim, but I can't seem to find the pattern online right now. I'm sure you could buy it at Hyenacart. Hope that helps a bit! Forgot to add: my favourite pattern for making...
Hi, I'm in Scotland - so not so far away Our laws here are pretty similar to England I would think - you don't have to inform anyone, you don't have to register, you don't have to be inspected. I think the main difference is withdrawing your child from school. Here you have to write to the Local Authority and request permission to withdraw your child from school. Scotland did go through something similar, with the government trying to change the laws. There is an...