or Connect

Posts by Mere

I didn't read through all the previous posts, so forgive me if I'm saying something that has already been said.  My kids have never been to school, and have way more friends and social activity than any of their schooled friends (and they have several).  I think that might be more my doing, as I like to get out and about and have friends, so I've been actively connecting with other people since dd was born.  In the process, I "came to homeschooling" and started actively...
Great question!  I didn't know about any of those resources until just now, but I have found all three of my kids' math books on Ebay.  I started looking late last spring and found the first two books within a few weeks, and I just found the last book a few days ago.  Hurray!  
Dd is 10.5, and has always been hs'ed.  In the HS realm, I'd say we're relaxed HS'ers.  Dd has always been the type of child who needed more attention from me - or anyone for that matter - and has never been a great self-entertainer.  However, I always held out hope that by giving her lots of free time, she would eventually find her way and develop some interests that she could pursue on her own and be passionate about (or at the very least, interested enough to pursue)....
Those are GREAT...wow.  Thanks for posting!  And FYI, it does say that it is a comprehensive curriculum on the 'about us' page of the website.   
I think homeschooling and lack of social skills/shyness are two totally separate issues.  If you are worried about it however, I would start making connections with other parents who homeschool or plan to homeschool as soon as possible.  I joined a local HS group when dd was only 3, and met lots of nice people through it.  I also met many people through friends of friends who knew I was homeschooling/going to homeschool and would "set me up" with their friends who were...
Khenn, thank you for your response...you've convinced me!  Well, that and the 50% off from HSBC.  I will admit that I'm a little overwhelmed at the volume of materials to read through, but I did get the Writer's Jungle and also the Arrow subscription, so we'll see how it all goes.  I'm thrilled to hear that it has worked so well for you and your children!  If you have a chance, I'd love to hear a few more details about how you incorporate some of the activities into your...
It is!  It's supposed to be less of a curriculum and more of how to incorporate regular writing into your daily life.  I was just curious to hear if anyone had used it.  There are many different components to pick and choose from.  
I have been reading through their website (very extensive!) and am intrigued...in some ways it sounds like a lot, but in other ways it doesn't.  I'd love to hear from someone who actually followed any part of this program.    I'm also a little interested in the basic online class they offer; I'm wondering if it would cut through some of the initial resistance I get when I implement anything new. 
Up and coming 5th grader here, and while I haven't pieced it all together for next year, I do know a few things we'll do.  Easy Grammar is also on our list; we did it last year, and it really was easy and pretty quick.  Dd pretty much just read the instructions and did the corresponding exercises.  We didn't do it all, but rather more of a pick and choose method.    For math, we'll be using a variety of sources.  Life of Fred is always popular and fun, as well as...
You all are so right...I think MY insecurities about her not reading very much are the issue here.  I just worry about all the normal things HSers worry about - you know, your kid falling behind in some arbitrary set of skills.  SIGH.  Sometimes I just can't let it go!  I feel better after reading everyone's suggestions though, because we are doing most of those things.  Dd can stay up as late as she likes, albeit in her room, and that is when reading happens.  I never...