or Connect

Posts by Mere

I used to think Legos were a good toy, I really did.  Now, I view the company as practically predatory and I wish I rid them from our lives forever.  All ds1 (7.5) wants to do is buy more and more Lego sets, all the time.  Whatever one he last got is never enough and always leads to him wanting another, different one.  We don't actually let him do this of course; he gets sets for his birthday and Christmas (too many, from well-intentioned relatives), and maybe twice in...
I think you really have to take into consideration how your child learns.  My ds1 (7), for example, is more of a site reader and can learn rules by seeing, reading and writing words.  Writing with Ease and Sequential Spelling are good fits for him because they are quick and easy to do, and very applied.  Writing with Ease doesn't have to be scripted; once you get the flow of it, you don't have to follow their exact prompts.  Anyhow, I feel like the dictation exercises...
I am very curious about the OP's question as well, and I feel the exact same way!  I *want* it to be our only math book, but I am nervous...can this really be it?  Will they learn what they need to know to do higher math?  I suspect the answer is 'yes' quite honestly, but I can't quite get over my own math background and let it be.  So far we've been doing the elementary series for a few months; both kids are breezing through it and enjoying it in the process.  I have...
The one thing I will say about 100 Easy Lessons (I am in the camp that liked this book) is that it is SHORT.  It looks weird, but you quickly get used to the format (and ds transitioned into normal letting no problem).  Maybe it's not super exciting, true, but come on, it's just 'learn a letter or letter combination sound, practice it.'  In the beginning It takes 5-10 minutes per lesson max.  It was perfect for ds who, at age 5, didn't know a lot of letter sounds, was...
My daughter and several of her friends started an animal club that they are calling the 'Wildlife Club.'  I have no idea how it all came about, except that one day they announced that they had formed a wildlife club, and that they would start meeting the following week.  Their club meetings take place after they have all just finished doing a handcraft/needlework/knitting group together, so it is a natural, predictable and easy meeting time for everyone involved. ...
Definitely Snap Circuits; we've had them for a year and a half, and they come out weekly.  The other gift that has been played with continuously by every child who comes into our house for the past two years is a set of Keva Planks.  They are not science-related in the same way that Snap Circuits are, but if your child is at all interested in architecture or physics then they are a sure winner.  They are expensive, but completely worth it IMO.  You can never have enough...
I agree that not all screen time is alike, and I would always encourage the use of, say, documentaries, or looking at YouTube to learn about something unknown.  However, trying to look at it from a child's perspective, ds is not going to agree with me (at least I don't think) that Lego Ninjago videos are less virtuous than watching a show about wolverines.  I need to figure out how to talk to him about this issue in a way that makes sense to him, if that's even...
Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I really like the idea of a few computer-free days.  I think I may have to do that, IF I reintroduce computer games at all!   Right now, Ds is in the middle of a 2 week break from the computer (the results of one of those whiny, post-computer time 'hangovers') and I have to say that it is SO NICE.  Ds is not focused on when he is going to have his computer time.  I feel like he has been more pleasant overall and less whiny.  We...
I used 100 Easy Lessons with ds1 starting when he was 5, and it worked well for us.  The lessons were, for the most part, very short and easy - important when you're working with a 5yo!  It took us about 9 months to get through it, and by the end ds was able to read intermediate-level easy reader books. 
I'm hoping to hear how other hs'ers handle video/computer game time sanely, because I feel like I'm not doing a very good job of it right now.  We don't have actual video games at our house, but we do have a computer; ds1 (age 7.5) has always enjoyed watching various videos on YouTube, from Legos to fighter jets, and playing games on certain websites like PBSkids.  I never had to do much limiting before because it seemed like his interest would run its natural course and...