or Connect

Posts by Mere

I agree with LaundryCrisis - sometimes you have to decide on your priorities, take a stance, and stick with it NO MATTER WHAT.  I have a 7 year old that sounds similar to the OP's 7yo, and I feel like I have to actively maintain my status as the 'alpha dog.'  That sounds terrible I know, but sometimes things have to get done and sure, ds1 might get around to it in time but in the meanwhile the rest of the family suffers.    I try really hard not to make punishment...
Thanks!  Okay, I ordered some materials last night, including Mind Benders and Balance Benders.  I was on the verge of ordering the "Building Thinking Skills for ds2, but the price put me off.  He is only 4 now so I was looking at the PreK book, but even when he's 5 and doing Kindergarten-level work is "Building ThInking Skills" really that much better than your average, $5 activity book from Target?
Ds1 is a total sight reader.  He initially learned phonics through 100 Easy Lessons, but it seems that the more competent reader he became the more phonics rules he forgot.  We tried to remedy this problem with Explode the Code last year, but it didn't help.  So, we just keep reading and I have to hope it will all work itself out in the end.    FYI, we have been using Sequential Spelling with Ds1 since first grade, and I think it has helped him tremendously in the...
Thanks so much splendiferous!  It's good to hear your recommendation.   Anyone else???
Just curious, as we are finishing a few of their books and I was thinking of getting something different to change things up a bit.  This year, my almost-10 year old has used Balance Math Level 1, Dr. Funster's Word Benders and Spelling DooRiddles, B1?  Ds1, age 7, has been using Spelling DooRiddles A1.  I think they're fantastic!    I've been looking at Balance Benders (beginning) and maybe Word Roots.    I'm also interested in suggestions for a 4-5 year old who...
You're dd is only 4 - don't worry about it.  She doesn't need pushing in any direction right now.    My ds1 - now 7.5 - was VERY shy also at age 4, although in his case he was only shy with adults, to the point where he wouldn't even talk to non-familiar adults (me, dh, grandparents) until he was 5 or so.  Needless to say, he didn't do any activities on his own at that point.  As he got older - 4,5,6 - he did open up a lot and became less shy with adults all on his...
Yes!!!  My dd is also 9 (soon to be 10) and is looking for a penpal who will write back with some regularity :-).  I will PM you with our address!!
My ds2 is 4, and I lurk (and sometimes post) here often.  I generally don't post much in this forum about ds2 though, because I don't do any "formal homeschooling" activities with him.  He's a third child though, so even though I do not ask him to do anything in particular in reality he does a ton and is exposed to way more than my first two were.    Next year, when he would be of kindergarten age, I will probably work some on reading and handwriting, but that's...
We took advantage of this last year and it was fabulous.  I felt bad when the lady in line in front of us paid almost $200 for her family to get in, and we paid half of that for more people.  It is a GOOD deal. 
My ds is also 7, and while we do do some "sit down" work, I try to keep it to a minimum.  Each day, he does 2 pages of math (5-10 minutes), math facts on the computer (5 minutes), Writing with Ease (10 minutes), and spelling or grammar (10 minutes).  He also does Rosetta Stone Spanish every other day, which takes a little longer (15 minutes, maybe).  Ds does need routine and schedule (unlike the rest of our family), so having a regular time to sit down and do this work...