or Connect

Posts by Mere

Even though it seems early, I'd look into local homeschooling groups.  Most homeschoolers have older and younger kids, and many people in our group with only younger ones schedule activities just for that age group.  At the very least they would have activities such as simply meeting up at a park that would involve all ages of siblings.    I'd also look into finding a babysitter for some you-time once a week or so. 
I like HWOT.  I found it to be inexpensive, quick, simple and effective.  I never bought any of the teacher manuals, but I did buy a few of the other accessories.  The wooden letter pieces are okay, and good for my preschooler.  What was really great for ds1, however, was the little blackboard with chalk.  I'd write the letter with chalk first and he'd trace it with his finger.  Then I'd use a little dampened sponge to erase the chalk letter, and using his own piece of...
Ds1 (7) has always been really demanding, whiney, intense, etc.  All those things everyone else has mentioned, basically!  It helps enormously to be very structured with him.  This is hard for me, because the rest of our family is more go-with-the-flow.  However, structure, persistence and consistency have definitely been key in our homeschooling career with him thus far.  He has a schedule of 'schooly' things that he is to do each day, first thing in the morning.  We do...
My kids did the Rosetta Stone homeschool version (Spanish) three days a week all of last year.  I would say that it is a good tool for learning a second language, but my kids definitely need more if they are really going to learn Spanish.  Not that I really expected a computer program to "do it all," but I didn't know what to expect last year!  Anyhow, what the program did do for them is help them nail down some vocabulary, and in general set the stage for future Spanish...
I think it just depends on the kid; some play independently and some don't.  My first child, dd, is one who does not.  Never did, and apparently never really will.  She is at her best (in terms of independence) if she has friends over, so I tried to have friends around as much as possible because otherwise it was ALL on me.  When ds1 was born, she was fine with it, but she never left us to do anything by herself; if I was nursing, she was right there.  If I was trying to...
Thank you Lillian J...I am struggling right now to find the right balance between book work and "immersion" as you put it.  I lean less toward bookwork than other homeschoolers I know, but then there's that insecurity that you're doing enough!  Grammar exercises in particular seem so dry...
My ds1 just turned 7, and he has been eating that kind of diet since, well, he started eating!  He gets all his protein from dairy (raw milk, yogurt, kefir & cheese) and raw nuts.  He also eats all kinds of fruit and some raw vegetables, and has oatmeal for breakfast every. single. morning.  He likes bread and pretty much all carbs, but we try to keep those items to a minimum.  That's about all he eats, and yet somehow he's the healthiest kid I know.  He *never* gets...
Alright, you all have spoken compellingly and convincingly.  I will do a more comprehensive grammar program next year. 
I believe grammar is important, but I just can't decide HOW important or HOW in-depth to go as I look at curriculum choices for next year.  For the past 2 years dd (who will be doing 4th grade work next fall) has been doing the short little 'Daily Language Reviews' put out by Evan Moore.  Each day is only about 5 questions, but over the years it has covered the basics pretty well.  As dd gets older I can't help but wonder if she should do more?  Is it critical, for...
If you buy things through the co-op, you have to contact THEM for the tech support.  They have been very responsive (like w/in 24 hours) to any problems we've had, so be sure to send them an email ASAP.