or Connect

Posts by Lady of Z Lake

Hello... I'm new to this area as well. Joining in because I would like to do better and more. I'm noting some things that we already do, but will also make a list of things I'd like to start in July. Started a compost pile a few weeks ago My kids take a pedestrian "bus" to school We recycle a lot of cardboard, plastic, and glass Turning off lights (esp.) more diligently Hang dry a lot of my clothes Don't use A/C at home (don't actually have it to be tempted) Things...
We agreed as a family (including dh, though I'm not holding my breath on how much real help he'll be) that we're willing to spend the energy and effort to get Bacio house trained. So we've kept him in his new set-up now for two days with no accidents! We put the pen around double doors on the inside that lead to the outside terrace. We've mostly been able to keep the doors open with the exception of a storm yesterday evening that blew over petty quickly. My main...
Quote: Originally Posted by limabean Can I ask, what prompted your family to make the decision to bring a dog into the home (besides missing your other dog)? Did you really have no inkling of the amount of work involved in raising a pup? I'm not sure we had "no" inkling, but I think, as I do with many things in my life, that I tend to imagine best scenario and romanticize too much. I also hoped (though I suppose I knew deep down) that my dh...
Joanna, Thank you very much for this advice. I am going to start using it right away, inlcuding trying the crate at 4 or 5 when he wakes up early tomorrow. A quick question about the pen situation in/outside... What do you do when he cries to get out and be with us *inside* the house? I really do appreciate you spending the time to write that up and to help me out. This may sound strange, but I'm feeling up to the challenge, and knowing pugs take longer actually...
Does anyone use guided imagery or meditation to get your children to sleep (or even relax)? I have a 5-yo who is very active up until the time we're reading (even during), and I keep wondering if some form of meditation or guided imagery would help him calm down and learn to rest.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady of Z Lake I know you said one issue, but chewing is really bad too. Actually, I take that back as the other big issue (pee/poo is still the worst). Chewing I can handle in comparison. My dh would say it's getting up at 4:00 in the morning with the dog because he begins whining and barking-- for food, companionship, for who knows what. So, dh goes downstairs (Bacio sleeps in his bed in a pen in our open...
It's house training. He seems to go outside really well, but then we'll find he pees on a coat left on the floor (despite the MILLION times I tell my kids or dh that if it's on the floor, it'll likely get peed on!), or in a corner. (or poos, but less often than pee) I know you said one issue, but chewing is really bad too. I'm off to work now, so I won't be able to check back in for a while. Thanks for your support!!! Oh-- and the pug's name is Bacio (kiss in...
Wow... I was away for a day and the post moved and there are tons of replies!! Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Just a few things I wanted to say after reading through everything. On responsibility: I would like to think that if we were truly irresponsible, we would've dropped the dog off in a field or given him to the first stranger who walked by. As it is, we are very concerned over this and have been talking about it and struggling to find what's...
My daughter is the 8-yo, and she does have some responsibility for the puppy. She feeds him if dh doesn't feed him at 5:00 in the morning (which he does sometimes to quiet him down when he wakes up so early). No one seems to want to take him out to do his business and stay with him/show him where to go. We end up leaving the door open and he does very often do it on his own in the yard. But we also often find little "presents" around the house, so he clearly doesn't...
I am so unhappy with our 6-month old puppy. He poops and pees in the house, he sheds really bad, wakes up around 4:30 or 5:00 am, and frankly I just don't want or need the headache of any extra work. I work full time outside the home, and dh stays at home with our two school-aged children (5 and 8). Dh isn't willing to spend the necessary effort required to teach the puppy proper habits (taking him outside to do his business in the same spot-- dh just opens the door...