or Connect

Posts by nikirj

Your doctor should have at the very least explained that the most likely possibility is that there is nothing wrong and this is an incidental finding.  In isolation (when there are no other suspicious findings) an echogenic bowel usually means nothing at all.  It's good to get another look and have some follow up and to be offered further testing, but the level of alarm that the doctor sent you into is really out of proportion to the situation.
Most books are written with the number of weeks meaning the LMP date, even though that's not accurate for a lot of women (my cycles are long, in fact I conceived on CD30 or so this time).
There isn't actually a big difference between b/h contractions and "real" contractions...both are actually uterine contractions.  B/H contractions typically do not result in progressive change to the cervix.  The easiest way to identify them vs. labor contractions is that b/h typically do not form a lasting pattern and do not get stronger over time while labor contractions will get longer, stronger, and closer together over time.  B/H contractions can be uncoordinated or...
Hippy Mum - I had it until 24-26w with the others.  It was just plain optimism that made me think that a few good days would mean I could wean off the meds.   Round ligaments suck. Ouch.
Kamiro - 50 minutes is not a terribly unusual amount of time for an anatomy ultrasound, especially with an inexperienced tech.  There will be a radiologist review of the images and typically the report following this review is what your ordering provider (your midwife or doctor) will see: that would state if there was anything they couldn't see well enough to decide if it was normal, and would also state any abnormalities they'd identified.  Even if the tech was having...
We use a woven wrap at first (just a length of very slightly stretchy woven fabric), and then an Ergo when they get bigger.  We've tried a bunch of other stuff but those have been our favorites.
hippy mom - that sounds OK to me especially if your uterus was retroverted (tipped towards your back), which means it settles deeper in the pelvis at first and then the positioning typically becomes more normal somewhere in that 14-18w time frame.  Even if your uterus did not start out retroverted, 2fb below is perfect for a 16w multiparous uterus and I really wouldn't think twice about it if I got that measurement for one of my clients. I am having b/h too.  I was...
Kamiro that sounds terrifying!!!  My 8yo has a friend (they have known each other since 1m old!) and when they get together they have always been really prone to just deciding they want to go do something and running off together.  They started this really young (at like 3 years old).  They always have a plan.  Example: at the fair last year we met up, they conferenced for about 2 minutes and apparently decided on what order they wanted to visit the farm animals in, and...
I <3 doulas.  Personally, I have had my mom at my birth as a doula twice (she actually did do doula work and was quite experienced, so she counts!) but not at my other births.  Professionally, if I could require a doula for all first time moms I would, but honestly some couples are fine doing it on their own and others aren't and it's hard to tell them apart beforehand.  Your personality in everyday life and your personality in labor don't necessarily match up in a...
If it doesn't cause you GI problems, there's no actual reason to avoid spicy food while pregnant.  I love spicy curries but don't eat them while I'm still in the vomiting stage, because you don't need stomach acid plus spicy coming up (which is also why women with a lot of heartburn don't typically do very well with spicy things).