or Connect

Posts by mamabearing

Quote: Originally Posted by hotwings640 I know it isn't just in Florida, there are midwives scattered about who think this is a safe practice. I understand that cytotec has a use in PPH, I just don't think it should be used for inductions at home. What is really, really concerning to me is that these midwives you mention are slipping it to the women without their knowledge. That is NOT anywhere close to ok. That needs to be reported. It is such...
It's horrible to use it out of hospital. In the hospital we use it with careful monitoring and next to an OR! But what sickens me worse is lying to the patient about what they are doing. A doctor or nurse could lose their licsence for telling the patient they were not administering a med or lying about what they were giving. And we SHOULD lose it if we did such a thing. Any patient, or mother, has every right to know what is given to her. And if for some reason she is...
Quote: Originally Posted by g&a I guess my question is more if this is really necessary given the VBAC situation. I don't want it because it represents just one more thing that makes this a medical event, rather than a life event and it's starting to feel like a freakin' medical three ring circus. I imagine it will be a bit of a fight not to do it (at least with DH), so am trying to get info and decide how badly I want to fight this particular...
[QUOTE=BirthFree;9589222]As soon as you stop stimulation, the oxytocin stops (unlike an IV pitocin drip), it would be VERY VERY unlikely to cause any ctx. that are "too long and too strong" *especially* compared to any artificial labor stimulation. An OB required a client (doula) of mine to be on the monitor when she did nipple stimulation because otherwise he couldn't control it. I honestly laughed when he was out of hearing range. Does everything have to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by huggerwocky You don't need a vaginal exam to check for breech presentation. I agree....MOST of the time. But just in case she is a rare case where they aren't sure, I know my preference would be not to go through labor with pitocin and then find the baby is breech. You read I said they should to Leopold's first I hope? I meant if they are not sure ( and with a big mom or a weird presentation sometimes you aren't....I...
I left 4 hours after my last baby was born..the policy is 6 hours...but I work there and it was late! Anyway...#1 call and talk to the manager of the maternity unit and see if there is an early discharge policy. If there isn't...then you could be stuck with those AMA issues. But I know many hospitals ( we do ) have a policy for mom's who request early discharge and it ISN'T AMA. Then you need to make sure your OB is fine with it. The most important person ( I find )...
I would go into the hospital and then do nipple stim. I wouldn't want to do it out of hospital ( ie off the fetal monitor ) because rarely you can cause contractions that are too long and too strong. You have a great start and I suspect you are already in labor and not reading this...but just in case! If there is no sign of infection at 24 hours I would want the pitocin. I am a rare bird here and very conventional but I don't think the risk of infection is worth it...
If you are on the thin side ( not me! ) then continuous can be easy in any position and you don't lose the tracing much. Also experiment with the belly band vs the straps and see which is more comfortable. The washcloth to angle it or stabilize works too. Telemetry is great if you have access to it. Another solution for those who are dilated enough and water is broken is an internal scalp electrode. I know most people, probably ESPECIALLY here, might think that its...
I am a hospital nurse, and a former homebirth mom. I changed my mind in two of my labors about who I wanted there once they began. It had nothing to do with the people, but the labors, and what I needed and just what felt right. As a hospital nurse, I work in a pretty progressive place and sometimes feel I am working in sea of family and friends. Sometimes I think they need to bring back the Dr. Kildare ampitheatre suites for these births...for all the...
I just wanted to explain to those who asked that anytime a person loses a huge amount of blood they are at risk for DIC. You lose clotting factors and the clotting cascade goes awry. It isn't just neonates, its moms or people who lose lots of blood in a trauma.