or Connect

Posts by Tahpenes

That isn't true, actually. My parents have been hobbyist beekeepers for 20 years and know many other hobbyist beekeepers in their area, and all of them have suffered at least to some extent from Colony Collapse Disorder. And yes, this is without stressing the bees. The problem with pesticides is that bees travel a long way, and there's essentially no way that you can avoid exposure for your bees. To be blunt, I think the speaker at the permaculture conference may have...
Depending on how she's washing her face, twice a day might be too much. If she's scouring, or using something that may be taking off the top layers and all the oils, then her skin may be producing excess oils in an effort to protect. Is she using some sort of lotion while her skin is still lightly damp, to keep the moisture in?   Is there something else going on in her life that's causing increased stress? Has she had any dietary changes?   If nothing else seems...
  But nobody in this thread - NOBODY - has talked about calling the police when the child was alone in the car for 30 seconds. And if first responders have been called to a scene because a child was left alone in the car, if the parent is still not present by the time they arrive it's assured that the child has been left alone for quite a while.   There are gray areas and nuance regarding when it's appropriate to call the police and when it isn't. Each scenario will...
It isn't just "hot climates" in which children die after being left alone in a car. My father, who was a volunteer EMT in upstate New York, had to respond to a scene once in which a young child died after being left alone in a car in late spring.   Nobody on here has called parents who leave their kids in a car bad parents. Did I miss somewhere in this thread people suggesting that people who do this are horrible, or should have their kids taken away, or that the...
This is a great idea! I'll provide any help I can. What kind of thing(s) still need to be done?
The number of sleepovers with teenagers definitely differs based on region, then.   I could count on one hand the number of sleepovers I was invited to in elementary and middle school, but during high school they were a routine event. We weren't doing anything we weren't supposed to be doing, mostly just tabletop role-playing games, movies, Scrabble, long and angsty discussions about ourselves, and other holy-crap-we-were-such-dorks pursuits. Other groups in the same...
        At least my understanding is that what's being discussed are much lengthier periods of time, not just the few seconds it takes to return a cart while you're still in view of the car. If people really are saying that they wouldn't leave their child in the car while pumping gas or unloading groceries at home then I'm in the "it's okay to leave them in the car in certain circumstances" camp.   I really thought this discussion was more along the lines of children left...
  It was about five years ago that I tried ADF, but I think the packet arrived in about 3-4 weeks. It wasn't too terribly long.
Is this a girl who's a friend, or a girlfriend?   If the latter, my answer would be pretty simple: I'm not enabling under age sex in the house. In most states (certainly in mine) the age of consent is 18.   If the former, and just a friend who is a girl.... eh. I wouldn't prohibit it. My concern with having a male friend over (even one with whom my daughter isn't romantically involved) would be because of the possibility of rape (and pregnancy); even if I thought...
  My understanding is that generally once a woman is in transition they don't want to give you an epidural; the idea (again, my understanding) is that they want to give you the epidural early enough that you don't feel much of anything during active labor but time it so that the epidural has basically worn off by the pushing phase so that you're capable of pushing. Transition would be too late for that.   But to be honest, once most people get to transition, I think we're...