or Connect

Posts by theatermom

Hmmm... I've never seen a natural low sugar/non diet soda with caffeine. I would love to find one.
I think it's extremely likely that her doctor told her exactly what she said he did. When my mom started radiation treatments for cancer, her radiologist specifically told her (in my presence) to throw her healthy diet out the window and concentrate solely on taking in calories. He said to eat as many Doritoes as she could, and to eat things that "would make your cardiologist cringe" -- whatever she could keep down. A friend of mine with extreme morning sickness was given...
Hugs! At 16 months, none of my four boys ate a lot. Mostly they grazed here and there, and nursed a lot. Don't underestimate the importance and caloric intake from bm for toddlers! It's more than you'd think. Also, I agree w/the others. Feed him what he wants, and make it table food when at all possible. If he wants avocados for every meal, great! They're easy and portable, and very, very nutrient and FAT rich (which he definitely needs). Have you tried smoothies? Very...
Thanks, all. I'll pass the info along to my brother. It's definitely been a rough week, to say the least!
I normally don't post a lot of personal information on here, but this situation is rather critical (and largely out of my control). My brother's girlfriend has had a very rough year and a half with a trauma which resulted in her being treated by an incompetent doctor who prescribed her antidepressants and didn't monitor them. We believe that these meds are responsible for some recent volatile mood swings which resulted in her voluntarily admitting herself this week to a...
4 hours of writing (this includes math, spelling, anything requiring him to put pencil/pen to paper) at age 9 (for a boy in particular) is too much. BTW, it is not at all uncommon for older children to be interested in or distracted by preschool shows. Your son sounds like he wants active, hands on learning. His desire to do chores and play with the little ones shows that he wants to *do* something, not sit and write. Explore with him some ways that he would...
I prefer that they start and end on time. I have young kids -- by the time a lesson ends, the ones not participating are usually ready to go and I've used up my mommy tricks. I don't mind the occasional extra time, though, if we don't have anywhere else to be, and the teacher is spending a little extra time on something my child is interested in.
Quote: Originally Posted by 2xy Unschooling does not mean doing all hands-on work and snubbing books and teachers. It means choosing how, when, where, and whether to learn something. It's merely about choice and freedom. This. To me, unschooling is all about choice and freedom. That includes the freedom to choose a different path, or make changes along the way if what you started with stops working. Too many times, we apply the same rigidity...
I never really got that with ds#1 because he was 95th percentile for his height for the longest time. So, unless he did something totally age appropriate (but shocking for the age they thought he was), he looked much older than he was. In fact, he's been going into the library by himself (with me just outside) for over a year and a half even though he just turned 10 a week ago, and the library has a strict policy that anyone under 12 has to be accompanied by an adult (not...
Quote: Originally Posted by pregnant@40 Just wanted to add, docs don't want patients to wait b/cs this disease can be fatal in young infants. The sooner you start, the earlier the child will obtain some degree of immunity. There is some degree of immunity w/ each shot, but in order to achieve effective immunity, the child must receive all the shots & boosters on time. That's funny, because when my 2nd babe was little, there was a shortage of...