or Connect

Posts by theatermom

HUGS! Ds#3 has been intense. He was emotionally laid back as a baby/early toddler, but we had some major life changes from just before he turned 2 until the past 6 months (moved 12 hours away from family, had a new baby, moved across town, my mom moved in, was diagnosed with cancer, and died, all within 2 yrs). He basically had earth shattering, ear splitting, make me want to run away and never come back tantrums every. single. day. for the better part of 2 years. At the...
I have a friend who to this day makes a plan of escape for every new place she sleeps, even if only for a night. I know you said that fire interventions might make your daughter more anxious, but is it possible that if you sat down with her in a calm, non anxious moment and had her help you develop a solid plan for escape, that it would ease her mind? Also, make a plan for what would happen with her stuff, her pets, her family, whatever she fears losing. Working on it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride Prior to puberty, pretty much everyone who knew me considered me to be extremely mature for my age, and I didn't hit puberty until I was 12. I was a trainwreck. All the "learn how to deal with it" in the world doesn't mean squat when you're a child coping with PMS and stuff like that. I can't even being to imagine dealing with something like that the age of the OP's dd. OP: I have no idea if this is what's going...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lisa1970 How do you know it will be a boy? It is 50/50 every time literally. I know how you feel though. Everyone else around me has girls. Literally, my children are the only male grandchildren on both sides, everyone else has had girls. I have had 6 boys and 1 girl. Actually, I don't believe that it's literally 50:50 every time. From different things I've read, the *overall* odds may be 50:50, but for an individual...
I agree about making certain that the meat is tender and juicy. Little ones are still developing jaw strength and it's easy to overestimate their ability to chew something. Also, if he likes pasta and sauces, it's very easy to mix ground turkey or beef into the sauce, or to puree beans into it. Stews are a good idea, too. Mahi Mahi is a favorite fish around here (though now that I say that, I realize that we haven't had it in quite awhile) -- when my now 7 year old...
I agree that it depends on a lot. Whenever possible, we get local AND organic. Our CSA, though not certified organic, uses sustainable practices, and reserves even minimal spraying for "emergency" situations. The dirty dozen (particularly peppers and apples) we absolutely choose organic over local (the local apples aren't always all that good anyway -- though we are careful to only buy apples from Sept. to March, at the latest, and we get them as close to home as...
I have 4 boys, and we're done. Even if we decide to adopt some day, I don't know if we would specifically adopt a girl -- most likely, we would remain very open about gender. Particularly because dh is very comfortable with boys. I LOVE having boys, and feel blessed with our particular family makeup. However, I was also pleased that my SIL had 3 boys (her family is also complete). Each time she announced their gender when they were born, the small, jealous side of me...
Quote: Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse Um, no, Walt Disney's mother lived well after her son grew up -- he bought her a house in Los Angeles and moved her out to be close to his family. He was devoted to his mother (and had a problematic relationship with his dad). Sorry to be pedantic about this, but I had to write about the topic professinally so have a lot of trivia at my fingertips! And Bambi was a book before Disney turned it into a...
Quote: Originally Posted by cdahlgrd I suggest more excercise for all of you too. If my boys haven't had some serious running in a couple days, they go at each other like rabbid dogs! But if we have spent pleanty of time outside playing at the park, doing yard work, riding bikes, visiting friends, we are ALL much nicer. Yes this! 2 of my boys need A LOT of exercise, or it turns into a 3 ring circus around here. My oldest needs time with his...
Seriously, when people ask me, I tend to frame it in terms of the aspects of homeschooling that we love. I leave the schools out of it entirely, for a couple of reasons. One, just as "I" statements are more effective than "you" statements, it's a lot harder to offend when you're talking about how something benefits you personally. Two, I don't want to be educating in a reactionary way. I didn't choose homeschooling as the lesser of two (or more) evils, and I don't want to...