or Connect

Posts by theatermom

It really does sound like he's on the brink of depression here. Have you two talked lately about your goals? Like why he's working, and what you want to accomplish and so forth? Because I know that there's a big difference between just working, alone, and working towards something, together. Does he like what he does?
Definitely you're waiting too long to eat them. Start with some that still have some green in the skin, and try them with something else...fruit salad, oatmeal (or other grains, quinoa, etc), or with plain yogurt or pudding. Then go from there.
Cookiepie -- thanks! I use a cup of oatmeal, about 2 medium apples, a smallish peach, and probably 1/4 cup raisins (I adjust depending on how much of one fruit I have, though). I'm not too exact about it -- I do whatever looks about right. :-) The nuts probably add up to 1/2 - 3/4 cup -- sometimes it's a bit less if I'm running low.
We make what we call Super Oatmeal: ~Steel cut oats ~Chopped seasonal fruit (right now, we're doing apples, peaches and raisins, usually one Granny Smith and one local variety, depending on fridge contents) ~Chopped nuts (usually almonds, walnuts, pecans) ~2 eggs, whisked lightly ~Raw honey ~Whole milk ~1-2 tablespoons homemade butter ~1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ~1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Make the oats as normal. While they're cooking, in a small saucepan, melt the...
I second (third? ) the cilantro and cumin. I also do half lemon/half lime juice -- it's closer to the limes they use south of the US. Definitely experiment with peppers; a little of this, a little of that can make a big difference. Avocado and plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream, my preference) can offset the heat and provide a nice contrast. I also think homemade flour tortillas are best for burritos. Have you tried seasoning the beans and meat separately (and...
DS: "I'm sorry I kicked you." DH: "We don't kick people. That's not the way we treat people." DS: "Yes, it is." DH: "If you want to kick something, you can kick your ball." DS: "You're a ball." I think you're trying to talk to him too much. He's trying to establish equilibrium after a big change, and kicking and hitting and yelling not only relieve his frustration, but also seem very powerful. After he apologized (a big step for a 3 year old), there was no need to talk...
Ugh, sorry your son had to witness that. I do think there is a lot of ambivalence in this world concerning the respect bugs should receive (I certainly feel some of it myself, though I would never do what that boy did, and people certainly spend a lot of time and expend a lot of energy killing them), and that *small* children do have a tendency to play with bugs (until they learn otherwise). If no one ever tells them not to, or reminds them that bugs are living, too, then...
I would second the Magic School Bus series. Also, Planet Earth is awesome. This is probably too old (and possible too scary) for your DD, though I got it for the boys last Christmas when ds#3 was 3.5, but we've really enjoyed it: http://store.discovery.com/detail.ph...ects_dinosaurs A friend's little boy really likes Dirty Jobs (we haven't seen it yet, but want to): http://store.discovery.com/?v=discov...ows_dirty-jobs I remember checking out a series when...
My mom had the ability to lecture for HOURS. It was horrible. I much preferred a spanking or being sent to my room (as a mostly introverted individual, this was heaven, actually). The only problem was, she would send me to my room, and then come back 5 minutes later and the lecture would start all over.
Quote: Originally Posted by kriket Discouraged from rolling a straw wrapper? If the restaurant was that "adult" there is probably a dress code and children should have been there anyway. Being bored IS a skill that kids learn. You can't say that you've never been out at a restaurant bored out of your gourd and just had to sit there. I can think of 2 weddings, a business lunch and a very awkward baptism dinner off the top of my head. There is a lot of...