or Connect

Posts by theatermom

Well, I will say that sometimes ages on a box (particularly for games) can be helpful -- but usually the description is the most helpful. If you find a game you like, but aren't sure of, look it up online. There will be many reviews, and usually a longer description than on the box, and you will be much better able to determine the fit for your child. You know his strengths and weaknesses, and can choose games/books that alternately stretch and strengthen his skills and...
I've threatened to send my children to school on really, really overwhelming days, and I always regret it. It's not something that I want to do (for many reasons), and I've apologized to them and told them that how we school them will always be a group decision. We won't ever (outside of a huge life emergency) just turn their life upside down. I would say that maybe ongoing lessons aren't the best fit for her right now. Maybe she needs more room to stop and try new...
The little girl who used to laugh all of the time is very sullen child and unhappy. She won't speak when she's spoken to and isn't playing well with others. She kicked a child in the playground and her mother doesn't want to take her anywhere because she does mean things to other children. This part bothers me, actually. When did the behavior change happen? Just before or after the birth of the sibling? Because, not having any other information to go on, this sounds...
Just want to say that it sounds like you're making some progress, but that I wouldn't send OJ in her bottle or sippy cup. It's really, really hard on baby teeth (any teeth really, but especially baby teeth), and can cause some serious problems later on. It's much better for her to have the whole fruit -- the vitamin and fiber content are much higher, and the acid content much more dilute. GL!
I wouldn't have said anything, either. One, because the mother resolved the issue by calling in help (though obviously, this step should have happened much sooner in order to keep her dd safe), and two, because it is very possible that it was an accident. I'm very familiar with those parenting moments in which you think it was okay to bring your child with you to a particular public place, and then once you get there, the combination of their boredom/extra...
MamaPisces, Okay, so we homeschool and always have -- just want to get that bias out there right now. :-) However, I have a ton of friends who use brick and mortar schools for their kiddos, and I can guarantee that each and every one of them would agree with me -- that school day is MUCH too long for a 4 year, especially a 4 year old spirited boy. That's a long time to be away from home (i.e. the familiar and comfortable), it's a long time to be on someone else's...
I have two classically spirited kiddos (ds#1 and #3, though #1 is spunky physically), 1 physically spirited/emotionally spunky kiddo (ds#2), and 1 cool kid (ds#4) -- to use the definitions of spirited in the book. I'm definitely spirited, and dh is spunky. :-) We have some extrovert/introvert clashes, and definitely butt heads on many things. To say we have a lively household is a major understatement. I'm happy to see this thread, because while I've been dealing with...
I think it really, really depends on so many things -- where you are in your life, the personalities of the children, how much prep/child experience you have before your first is born, and so on. They can also be difficult in very different ways. For me, going to 0-1 wasn't really that hard physically -- it was definitely all new, and ds#1 was (and still is to some degree) high needs. But I could sleep when I needed to (especially while pregnant, until that crazy 3rd...
I am not the kind of person that calls 911 or even the non-emergency numbers -- not when children aren't restrained in cars, aren't wearing helmets, or many of the other kinds of violations that more conservative folks call about. In this case, I would definitely have called. Just because he was on a bicycle doesn't make it a live and let live situation. He was operating a vehicle (in most places, bicycles are expected to follow basic traffic laws) in an erratic and unsafe...
It's developmentally normal for children between the ages of 12 months and 3 years to be what we commonly call "picky" -- some speculate that it has something to do with needing to be careful about what they consume in order to stay safe. A less choosy child in the wild would potentially have a short life span. That said, keep giving healthy foods over and over, and keep eating healthy foods yourself. It will "take". :-)